Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 60 of 178 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
I currently have 2 Tula M44s.

Number one has serial number MC1257. This one is all stamped matching with a laminated stock. The receiver tang has the Izhevsk arsenal stamp and is dated 44.

Number two has a serial number of KO187. This one is built on a hex receiver. The tang has no legible markings. Oddly enough this one retains an original Tula 1944 cartouched stock, but the bolt, butt plate, and mag are all electro pen matching.

Number 3 is on the way. It is DDR marked and built on a hex receiver also. It should be here Tuesday. I will post the serial when it arrives.

I will try to get clear pics of all three barrel shank markings next week.

PAshutr2

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks!

All,
Thanks for the continued contributions. I've revised the data summary and observations posts, but there isn't much new to report.

Voyto,
Is there any way you could post a photo of the prefix and date stamps on your carbine? I am especially interested in the number 4s in the date. The "П" prefix was used on Tula M38s in 1944, but these used different fonts from the M44s in the date and "No". Perhaps this is a new prefix for M44s, but I suppose there's a chance it could also be an M38 with a bayonet added.

· Registered
212 Posts
Just saw this thread, so I'll jump in with my 2 1944 Tulas:

1) M-91/30, 1944 Tula, Serial# ВГ2560, "CH" marked (receiver NOT drilled & tapped. I think it was designated to get a scope, but was never completed. Very accurate with the standard sights). This is an older import, not one of the ones with fresh shellac. I got this about 8 years ago.

2) M-38, 1944 Tula, Serial#РП1134, in a laminated m-44 stock. This was a refurb with the fresh shellac. I ordered this a few years ago when I wanted a laminated M-38. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the star on the shank :) .

· Registered
353 Posts
mupples, 3 more Tulas for the list. No digital camera.
All three are cyrillic prefix stamped refurb matching.
1. 1944 M38 PT994 (in '38 wood)
2. 1944 M38 EB1278 (in '38 wood)
3. 1944 M44 KP478

Regards
RC

· Gold Bullet member
3,521 Posts
1944 Tula M44, ПЮ 596, per the receiver, buttplate, and bolt. The magazine floorplate is stamped П 10596 however. It's very clearly a numeral one, with a serif at the top, and numeral zero, not the character Ю. I'm not sure what to make of this. It seems a little unlikely to be a mis-stamp that made it past the inspection process from the original production. But if it was replaced in the refurb, why was it stamped and not electro-penciled?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thank you all for the contributions - I've revised the data summary and observations posts, although there isn't really any groundbreaking news. I think that 6 Tula M38s have turned up in the past few months

Avenger-
Is there any chance that you could post a photo showing the barrel shank? Is there a chance that the first character in the prefix could be a "Л" and not a "П"? This is the first carbine reported with either the ПЮ or ЛЮ prefix, so I want to make sure I have it in the right place.

41 - 60 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.