Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My son has a 1944 Swiss K31 (S#800163). I have seen the website that instructs about bad op rods in '44 guns but I can't tell one from the other from the photos and description given. These are photos of the bolt with rod for my sons '44 K31. Is this a replaced rod or an original one that is "bad"?

Where does one obtain a replacement? Or does it suffice to just ensure that the bolt is fully forward before firing and the serial number is plainly visible on top of the bolt?

PS don't worry about what looks like cracks in the bolt - it was hair that got into the photos...thank you German Shepherds (stuff is everywhere).

Thanks,
Earl

·
Registered
255 Posts
The only part of the op rod you need to worry about is the tip of the rod in photo number 3. That is the area of inspection. I see no issues but will let other chime in on their opinions. In the US loo at the Simpsons web site, if no parts then go to Guisan in Europe. Look through the other web Swiss site to get some better information.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also have the same question about my 1944 K31's op rod and I'm going to ask here instead of making an entire new thread for the same question (sorry!). I know Guisan posted in the Swiss Rifles Message Board with a picture comparing the good and "bad" op rods saying the ones you should worry about have a matte phosphated finish, but my op rod seems to have no finish left. Personally I'm leaning toward mine being "bad" but of course I'd rather have someone who is more knowledgeable than I am take a look.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
The OP's photo shows the stamping on the underside of the oprod is "CV +(Swiss Cross) C." That indicates nickel steel. A "CM" or "M" stamp indicates the problematic molybdenum alloy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.