Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently found a SK.Y M39 made in 1944. The finish is worn - patina everywhere to a light grey (aside from below the wood line). There is some pitting on the magazine, and on top of the receiver in sprinkled areas. Buttplate, magazine, and bolt components are all mix and match. The bolt knob serial matches the barrel shank, but other numbers are off as to be expected. Bore is immaculate, and slugged 0.301 - 0.312 (woooohooooo!). Crown is very good, with no knicks or gouges. The stock is a Sako war time with cartouches that are barely visible, and lots of character. The stock altogether has four plugs, and a few scratches here and there with an occasional ding.

I am happy with this rifle, but at the same time I am confused a little and here are the questions.

1) A rifle made specifically for the CG by Sako, stamped three times (one on left, two on right side of shank) with the =S= there's no CG district number. But it has a SA proof as well. Is this a common occurrence? Is this one of the rifles made for the CG, but moved to front lines instead since it is CG inspected / proofed and Finn Army proofed as well? Any thoughts are of course appreciated.

2) What muzzle guard would be appropriate for the rifle? Smooth brass, knurled brass, or knurled steel?

3) I know its a long shot but does anyone have a SK.Y marked M39 sling they'd like to part with? ;)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sparky. I was unaware of the fact that so few were CG district marked, and lower production year being 1944. I just figured that this may be around one of the last fifty SK.Ys made since the contract was coming to a close as was the war. May I ask where did you find the production info? Id like to brush up on some reading.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I just got a 42 Sky today!

I don't recall on which site I read this - it was either 7.62x54R.net or one of the other Mosin sites - but it's my understanding that a Civil Guard issued rifle with the [SA] mark represents an army rifle that was loaned to the civil guard (I could have this switched). There answer is out there somewhere, I just can't put my hands on it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
it's my understanding that a Civil Guard issued rifle with the [SA] mark represents an army rifle that was loaned to the civil guard (I could have this switched).

No. It just means that the Army stamped the rifle as Army property. Probably post war.

Many SKY m/39 rifles went straight to Army's books and were never issued to any CG-district in a first place.

The double-S symbol found in some rifles before the district number means a Civil Guard-Army loaned rifle. This does not exist with m/39 rifles.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got a 42 Sky today!

I don't recall on which site I read this - it was either 7.62x54R.net or one of the other Mosin sites - but it's my understanding that a Civil Guard issued rifle with the [SA] mark represents an army rifle that was loaned to the civil guard (I could have this switched). There answer is out there somewhere, I just can't put my hands on it.
Oooooooh yeah, I saw your gorgeous one in the thread already. Drooled all over the Mac book, not my best showing that's for sure. Gorgeous rifle.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,569 Posts
imo Very Nice! That is a very attractive M39. I have the year older brother.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
No. It just means that the Army stamped the rifle as Army property. Probably post war.

Many SKY m/39 rifles went straight to Army's books and were never issued to any CG-district in a first place.

The double-S symbol found in some rifles before the district number means a Civil Guard-Army loaned rifle. This does not exist with m/39 rifles.
I stand corrected. That's what I read - that the double S was army loan to civil guard. It's discussed at www.mosinnagant.com.

"In the case of the SS followed by the number this means the rifle was loaned or sold to the Civil Guard by the Finnish Army. This double S marking is rather uncommon and in most cases seems to be stamped on M91's and M91-30's."

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Oooooooh yeah, I saw your gorgeous one in the thread already. Drooled all over the Mac book, not my best showing that's for sure. Gorgeous rifle.
Yeah, except the rifle looked much better on the seller's website than it does in person. Among other things, the butt of the stock has four plugs that were neither disclosed nor evident from the pictures. It's still a fairly uncommon and nice rifle, but I overpaid.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the compliments gents! I thought I was going to have to part with this one, a day after I purchased it because of the tax man....but the mrs said to keep it (she's a keeper). Handsome devil, that is one fantastic rifle :) its nice to know my rifles sibling is in good hands.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,550 Posts
I'm with "wrench" on the plugs. Have no idea if my thoughts are correct or not, but many many Finn M39s have plugs in them and I think it was a pre issue "repair" before trouble started. It would of allowed flawed stock blanks to be used without having to discard so many for rather small blemishes? Especially during war time. While I no doubt have other models than M39s with the plug repairs, seems this was popular repair on M39 stocks. Again I think many were pre-issue repairs to negate problems after issue. Part of the history and in no way devalues the rifle in any form or fashion. Just my "free 2 cents". Opinions may vary! Regards, John.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The aesthetic appeal is growing on me. At first I wasn't a fan, but now I think its B.A.. The way I see it, a stock maker that was building supplies so his country didn't fall to the Russians probably took the time to get it right prior to issuing a death stick to someone he may know.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A little tough to see the whole rifle, with it snuggled down in the grass.

Good-looking wear on it, for sure.
The sling that's on it looks right at home. Think I'd leave it.

Agree that the plugs are no problem. But I believe they were put there at the time of manufacture. What makes you think they are a later addition Devil ?
If done at a refurb, wouldn't M91s and 91/30s likely be found with them as well ?

More great tidbits of information Bugelson. I should be writing them all down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts