Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we have my TT-33 pistol. It was brought back from Vietnam as a war trophy. Unfortunately sometime in its past it was reblued, but considering it has all the paperwork it doesn’t bother me too much. The serial numbers match between the frame, slide and barrel. Mag is not matching. Here is some info from the previous owner ,

Soviet Izhevsk TT-33 pistol chambered in 7.62x25mm made in 1944 and captured in Vietnam, 18 of August 1969 by a SSgt Leopold R. Voytek, member of the Provisional Marine Aircraft Group 39, USMC 1st Marine Aircraft Wing and brought home as a war trophy.
This group transported marines into combat zones as well as provided close-air support later in the war. While I don't have the story of its capture, this pistol was likely given as a gift to the original owner at some point or traded in the rear with another Marine.

Thanks for looking and have a great day

Speedratchet

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,201 Posts
A professional, quality polish job and a quality re-blue. Looks much nicer than mine - a 1945 Izhevsk(which doesn't have the capture and bring-back papers). At least it is all-matching, except magazine which is a Triple k. Works OK, so no complaint there.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d love to see yours clyde, thanks for commenting.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Very nice set!
Fortunately, they did not buff the gun too much during the reblueing and all the markings seem intact, so you could have it redone in the proper fashion (it is way too shiny for a 1944 production gun).

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
That is a quality pistol, a very nice and uncommon bringback! I don't think that I'd have it redone again or any more. The finish matches and is dead onto a couple of other VN bringback TT-33's that I have seen, on one I was told that it was done in country but there was no verification to that story so who knows.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,201 Posts
That is a quality pistol, a very nice and uncommon bringback! I don't think that I'd have it redone again or any more. The finish matches and is dead onto a couple of other VN bringback TT-33's that I have seen, on one I was told that it was done in country but there was no verification to that story so who knows.
+many. The re-blue is well done and part of the history, and no matter who does it, an attempt to match Russian factory job of 1944 - will not be original and will alter it further.

speedratchet, I'm not much on electronic pictures, but I'll see what I can do about some. Don't hold your breathe, though...

·
Gold Bullet member
13,578 Posts
That is the best VN paperwork I have ever seen. Attractive gun even though refinished. It was arsenal rebuilt as well, but surely not that well refinished. Regardless, I would be proud to own it. Interesting they included the date as part of the serial number but recorded 1844, and it appears to be on each document.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used to own this exact pistol with the paperwork. I sold it a few years ago and I guess I found the new owner!

To explain a bit about the history of this gun, I was technically the second/third owner. The original veteran that brought this gun home passed, and his wife gave it to his old buddy at the VFW hall, who sold it to me.

My recollection was that he never shot the gun, he had a few other pistols that he had reblued but not overdone. The gentleman was pretty religious about keeping his original paperwork, he even had some other papers he kept from his service that didn’t involve the pistol.

I hope it goes to another collector that will like it. The paperwork that came with it is by far the most extensive of any WW2/Vietnam bring back firearm I have yet to see. Usually you just get the capture form with C/O signoff.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
684 Posts
Very cool! Impressive amount of paperwork. As we all know, many GIs from WWII churched up their bringbacks with a nice blue polish or nickel plate. I'm not surprised that sentiment might be found in the Vietnam era generation of vets. One of my interpreters in OIFII carried a TT33 and thought it 'obsolete'; I told him that round had ALOT of thump and it was a good piece to carry! (He ended up with a Glock that he really wanted instead). A KBR contractor carried a PPSh for much the same reason-caliber...and rapid fire. A greatuncle served in ground support roles during WWII in MAG 24/MAW 1; most of that time in the Philippines.

https://www.1stmaw.marines.mil/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts