Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
yes, very nice condition revolver your friend has...................... when these were imported back in the middle 90s, hardly anyone wanted them, they considered them a "novelty" with the gas seal and weird ammo it fired, as well as the scarcity of the ammo.

so over a period of a few months, I picked up 3 of them, from each arsenal; a Czarist one, one from TULA, one from IZHVESK, from gun show FFL dealers for basically what it cost them
(wholesale), around 50 buck :). they just wanted to be rid of them at cost because they were not selling at all

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice pistol. Too bad about the fut buggly import stamp. I purchased mine way back when century first imported a quarter million or so. Nice tiny discrete stamps. About 50.00 each when on sale. Shipping was always free. Really dating myself now. They are a hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
yeah, the CENTURY import stamps were on the barrel lightly stamped and tiny, that is how 2 of mine are.......the one from KBI was done on the heel of the frame on the right side, and in small font

·
Registered
Margolins, '44 Nagant 1895
64 Posts
very nice and cool i love them they are unique.
Agreed. Very cool but not unique. Steyr produced a similar gas seal revolver in 1893 and the Tula Arsenal produced the TOZ 36 and TOZ 49 SA target pistols in the 1960s and 70s using essentially the same mechanism, latter two being Olympic style centrefire pistols when the Olympics included CF.

Just love those Russian guns. I have a bunch of Margolins, a TOZ 35 free pistol, a TOZ 49 and several IZH 35M Standard pistols. Love them all. Pity that they don’t produce those wonderful guns anymore. Their Olympians now shoot mostly Italian Pardini pistols - just like everybody else!

Bob

·
Registered
480 Posts
yes, very nice condition revolver your friend has...................... when these were imported back in the middle 90s, hardly anyone wanted them, they considered them a "novelty" with the gas seal and weird ammo it fired, as well as the scarcity of the ammo.

so over a period of a few months, I picked up 3 of them, from each arsenal; a Czarist one, one from TULA, one from IZHVESK, from gun show FFL dealers for basically what it cost them
(wholesale), around 50 buck :). they just wanted to be rid of them at cost because they were not selling at all

As a revolver guy, I always regret not picking one of these up. Nice photos.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i also know America produced some for tunnel rats in Viet Nam. i saw a picture of one and thought it was a nagant but was told no it was a American-produced gun he was holding.
Would be great to get a bit more info about these. I know that Steyr produced an experimental/trials gas-seal pistol in 1893 and the Tula Arms Factory produced the gas-seal TOZ 36 and 49 Olympic target pistols when CF was an Olympic event (halcyon days) back in the 60s and 70s. I’m lucky enough to have found one of the 49s here in Oz but rechambered for .32SWL WC. These are not uncommon downunder, but sought after.

if you find out anymore about the American pistol jeeplover, I'd be grateful to hear it.

Bob

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would be great to get a bit more info about these. I know that Steyr produced an experimental/trials gas-seal pistol in 1893 and the Tula Arms Factory produced the gas-seal TOZ 36 and 49 Olympic target pistols when CF was an Olympic event (halcyon days) back in the 60s and 70s. I’m lucky enough to have found one of the 49s here in Oz but rechambered for .32SWL WC. These are not uncommon downunder, but sought after.

if you find out anymore about the American pistol jeeplover, I'd be grateful to hear it.

Bob
Suppressed .38 Revolver Was Made for Tunnel Rats in Vietnam.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks jeeplover. So the revolvers they trialed were not gas-seal. Funny that the firearms manufacturers were not aware of the Belgian or Russian Nagant system. The Russian TOZ 36 was apparently available from 1962, some 4 years earlier than the rig in the article, though the relationship between RU and US was not good at the time!

An interesting historical dead-end.

Bob

·
Silver Bullet member
2,190 Posts
Going into a tunnel after V.C., I'd be happier with an M1911A1 or an S&W in .38 special over a 7.62 Nagant. Let's get real, I like Nagant revolvers but they are not my choice for serious combat.

While we are on the topic, a big problem for tunnel rats in 'Nam was air. If someone tossed a grenade in the tunnel, it often blew out the oxygen, anyone entering the tunnel after that would pass out and men would suffocate and die if not pulled out fast enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.