Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the newer Finn collectors on Gunboards sent me an M39 bayonet ( in exchange for a different M39 bayonet) yesterday with stamped numbers that match my SK.Y rifle. So I pulled the rifle from the safe today to take some pics and send back to the donor of the bayonet. The rifle came to me in the middle of 1998 from a seller on Tuco's original forum. I hope that you will enjoy these pics. Bill thanks for sending the bayonet and I look forward to returning the favor. You the man!

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,550 Posts
Very nice early 1944 SkY, not quite sure how you find a matching number bayonet. But well done.

I always wanted to find a M1905 bayonet to match one of my 03's, but never found one yet. Thanks for sharing. You really have me scratching my head on how you found that, the odds to me say you should play lottery tickets often. Congrats, John.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
, the odds to me say you should play lottery tickets often. Congrats, John.[/QUOTE]

John thanks for the reminder. I just got back from buying some Power Ball tickets. Very large jack-pot tonite.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Are the last two numbers the only thing stamped? Only reason I ask, and it's not to rain on your parade, but to point out a fact about trying to match parts/pieces.

This is encountered on the Swede Forum every once a in a while. People find parts with the last three numbers matching. Were they ever matching? One can only speculate as the sequence gets repeated every 999 rifles with only 3 digits stamped on a part. It's repeated 10X more if using only 2 digits to match a part. So as to the nature of this very problem, matching parts is a pretty wishful thinking kind of thing. No matter how much one wishes that it is true, does not make it so.

Again, not trying to rain on a parade, just trying to offer the other side of the coin.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been accepted by many that the 2-3 or 4 digit numbers stamped on the Finn bayonets represent the last few digits of a mating rifles serial number. The Swedes and others may have serial numbered bayonets in sequential order of their manufacture. But from the M39 bayonet samples that I have seen it looks like maybe less than 20% even have any numbers at all stamped on the. So I don't think the Finns serial #erd their blades as they came off the presses. Sean I know that it is a possibility that the numbers might mean something else and I also know that my #70 bayonet could have been mated to a number of different M39 serial numbers. I doubt very much that my rifle was the actual rifle that the bayonet was mated to. But its still cooool to have the matched set!:laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts