Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late fixed sight carbine,no import marks,no caliber designation or date
,stock matches reciever,bolt not numbered.Missing top handguard and cleaning rod.Ex cond.,may be a bringback,is it 6.5 cal.?Shown is a clip and bullet in barrel crown.Stock screws have never been turned,need to look under stock for german markings,any help on what this is appreciated.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's a very late war TS - possibly never issued and "liberated" from an arsenal by a GI. SW
Thanks looks about unfired,is it 6.5 cal?Safe to shoot?Got it for 75.00 as its missing handguard,sold as a "parts" rifle.Are these safe to shoot?Looks like it was in a pile of rifles at some point by impressions on stock.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
It is what we (or I) call a 91/38 Troop Special. Scroll 1/2 way down this link for brief description:

Yes, they are safe to shoot as much as any other mil surp. PPU makes ammo. There is a lot of detail for you to find out. A couple days reading here would be a start. These guns require a clip like the M1 Garand. I see now, you have a clip and some ammo to play with.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone,appreciate it!SW I think you are right,its a GI bringback.I looked at some recent imports online and they are rough and mismatched ,missing parts,not good rifles from the reviews I read.John ,yeah parts are drying up need to act fast,If anyone has or knows of a nice handguard for sale that will fit this late TS PM me.Have read the Germans captured and held onto carcanos and then issued them to the Volksturm at the end.This carbine was made under German control so who knows.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is the Italian web site chart listing your serial number.

I am not sure what the slash in the year column means. I would guess that it means some year after 1942, but there is no information as to which specific year. From the number on your rifle it was one of the last eight thousand made.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,080 Posts
The / means it was made in either 1943 or 1944, they did not have dates on the barrels to tell us when it was made

Patrick

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's 99% most likely a 6.5mm.
Take a 6.5 Carcano cartridge, or pulled bullet, and see if it just fits in the muzzle.
A 7.35 won't fit in a 6.5; and a 6.5 will be very loose in a 7.35 muzzle.
Also a 7.35 cartridge won't fit in a 6.5 chamber. But you can fire a 6.5 in the larger caliber Carcano, but risk ruining the barrel as the bullet pinpongs down the rifling; and posibly burst the unsupported cartridge neck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.