Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the chance to buy this Enfield Sniper rifle from 1944. I have a few questions on this rifle. First, the receiver does not have the "T" marking, but all other marks appear to be correct. In addition, the scope, mount, and rifle numbers do not match. From my research I thought that these had to match for it to be all original. However, the seller has a friend who has a lot of knowledge on these and he said the later ones don't have matching numbers. In addition, the numbers on the scope box match the mount and the scope. (It is marked 9/61, is that for September 1961 assembly?). Number on box matches number electro penciled into rifle. What do you guys think? It comes with the
original box, spotting scope, scope case, etc.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Gold Bullet member
13,120 Posts
It looks like a beautiful rig. The rifle was placed into storage without a scope/mount as indicated by the markings on the wooden transit chest: "Less Telescope."

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
The serial number on the left wrist of the receiver is not the one the factory put there when it was originally made. Hopefully it was added upon refurbishment. That does not help the value IMO. The rifle was a TR rifle from the factory apparently. I would prefer to have the T on the receiver flat but it looks like the serial number and the T were likely removed with a refurb. The scope number should be on the top of the wrist.

The rifle is likely legit but the serial number thing would be a hangup for me. Any fishy serial number is a red flag IMO, even if it was done by the country of origin in a legit refurb.

Nice rifle but I am a big chicken with any serial number issue. I want to explain nada.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Interestingly in Peter Laidler's on the No.4 Mk I (T) he says that during refurbs, especially the last ones, mismatched numbers were not unusual...

If you can find ".303 No.4(T) Sniper Rifle : An Armorers Perspective" Its a must have if you enjoy these rifles...

I would snatch that set up quick if you can...

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I can give one reason the scope doesn't match. At least in Chicago and Kleins sporting goods. The rifles were shipped in one crate and the scopes in another. So you bought the rifle, and the clerk reached into another box and pulled out a scope.
This was pretty much universal at the time most of these rifles were sold.

If everything were ideal, the number marked on the side of the scope mount should match the rifle's serial number, and the number on the telescope should match the number stamped on the top of the wrist of the stock.

Your transit chest is stenciled with the words "Less Telescope", so it would be very unlikely for the rifle that belongs in that chest to have a matching scope . Somewhere along the way, a matched scope/storage tin from another rifle was added to the transit chest.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
PackersFan: Probably not a bad price given everything that's included. The rifle appears to be a genuine "T" with the very nicely fit front pad being one piece of key supporting evidence. There are no photos of the rear flats at the back of the action where two different Enfield examiners stamps should be in evidence. These are the stamps that would be the toughest to forge- the TR's and S's and even the normal serif T are abundantly faked. And make no mistake, the product coming from H&H, if scoped, always had the scope number on the top of the butt. Apparently the brackets only got numbered if the scope was going to be removed from the bracket during repairs. It was also very common for brackets and scopes to be reused resulting in brackets with up to 3 rifle serial numbers present. Just be aware that the bracket is the critical part to match to the rifle- its axis is collimated to the rifle bore. Any scope will then work in a properly fit bracket. If this bracket hasn't been fit by someone that knows what they're doing you may have to have the work done or live with post/ cross hair uncomfortably out of the center view.

Ruprecht (2 real T's, 2 fakes)

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was my understanding that the TR was stamped on the rear band from the assembly line which stated that the rifle had better then average accuracy. Then the T was stamped after the designation which stated Holland & Holland had accepted it as a sniper. The absence of the T would seem that it was not accepted by H&H and would have been returned. I'm curious if this is true, because I just came across a rifle with the scope and cheek rest but no TR and no T. It's only $1600 and I'm thinking of buying it for the scope, which looks original, since I have an original T without the scope. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.