Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my only Garand and a while back I went thru it to make sure all the numbered parts were correct.
I would like to know what you guys think.

It was brought to my attention that Gas Cylinder Lock Screw should be a solid single slot type, one of the bands on the handguard is blued but should be parkerized.

All of your comments are welcome and if you know where to get the correct parts please let me know.

My goal is to have an all completely correct rifle.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more set of pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's a very nice rifle, Your pictures are good and from what I see there are only a few small items that need to be addressed.

1. The Gas Cylinder Lock Screw is wrong, you need a single slot screw.
2. I can not see the Hammer Rev. number, it should be a -3 SA
3. The Bullet Guide looks to be a later stamped type, March 1943 would still have a milled BG
4. The Follower Rod is not clear to me but looks like it might be a long fork rivet Follower Rod. March 43' rifles would have had the short fork rivet type.

If those are the only things wrong with that rifle then that's one hell of a nice fine. Any of those parts could have been swapped out during normal cleaning with guys in the same squad doing a weapons cleaning detail or just lost for some reason and replaced at the unit level. I'd be proud to own your rifle.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you very much.

1. How difficult would it be to find an original Gas Cylinder Lock Screw? What do they go for?
2. Hammer Rev number is - 3 SA (luckily :) )
3. I will have to check on it but I remember comparing it to some online and it looked correct but I will check again.
4. Follower Rod is something I don't know anything about. (Should I take different pictures of it?)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are reproduction GC Lock Screws for about 15 to 20 bucks, the real ones will run 25 or more for well used to 50 dollars or more for nearly new. Your rifle is in such nice condition that a near new would look best.

In no way am I promoting these web sites these links are for reference only:

Short Fork Follower Rod
http://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-short-fork-follower-rod-orig-wwi1.html

Long Fork Follower Rod
http://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-follower-rod-springfield-usg1.html

Notice the Short Fork has stamped in groves. Non of the Long Fork Follower Rods do.

Milled Bullet Guide
http://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-bullet-guide-milled-wwii-ex1.html

The WWII stamp guide can be told by the one thick flat end. it is made by folding over the metal and there will be a couple spot welds to hold it together.

Donald

·
Gold Bullet member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures of small parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Follower Rev. 11 is correct
Bullet Guide is Milled, correct
Op Rod Catch is late style and correct
Follower Arm is SA and looks correct
Follower rod is Long Fork and is incorrect. This is common as the short fork was considered unsafe for grenade launching and they were replaced when possible. A short fork is not cheap but is correct so you'll need one the complete the rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts