Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this a while back and I was always wondering if that is the correct WW2 handguard on the rifle.
Maybe it is a replacement?
All the other parts are correct on it and have uniform wear.

What do you guys think?

In case it turns out incorrect what should I do? find a WW2 one? or leave it alone?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
From what I can tell from the pics, the hand guard looks fine. If your question pertains to the difference in darkness of the hand guard vs the stock, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a number of milsurps where the hand guard and stock are darker/lighter. I'd be inclined to leave it alone unless you come across a hand guard that more closely matches the stock.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
From what I can tell from the pics, the hand guard looks fine. If your question pertains to the difference in darkness of the hand guard vs the stock, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a number of milsurps where the hand guard and stock are darker/lighter. I'd be inclined to leave it alone unless you come across a hand guard that more closely matches the stock.
+1. Normal.

I have a CMP Danish Garand that looks quite similar. They replaced the buttstock with a very nice Beech one, and left the original Walnut handguards on it.

If you want to see a pretty egregious mismatch between handguard color and stock color, just check out one of the Garands being carried by the unit in 'Saving Private Ryan'. They got just about everything else in that movie technically right, I can't see them getting something so visually obvious wrong.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,581 Posts
don't see anything wrong with it. happens many time-- why someone made a comment. BTW nice.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,829 Posts
SA 1,5 mil

I have a SA in the 1.5 million serial number range also with a S-A 4-43 bbl, had mine sine 1974

I believe the rear handguard band should be parkerized not a black color

My bolt is a rev 12 heat lot S04<>

follower rod is short fork riveted with single slot gas cylinder screw stock is SA EMcF with square clip latch bottom

·
Registered
9 Posts
MilitaryTorch, from your pics, both hand guards look correct, especially considering the great condition of the rifle.
I've seen many pristine rifles, both Lend Lease and non-LL, that have the dark reddish brown hand guards with the light yellowish brown stock. If mine, I would not change the hand guards.

I would have expected to see the solid single slot gas cylinder lock screw as noted by RS on his rifle.
Also, I would expect to see the front sight screw with the step as used for the front sight seal even though this rifle would not have the seal. The pics seem to show the screw without the step.

The bolt revision and heat lot -12SA S-11<> would be correct for your serial number. In the 1.57M range I have seen -12SA W10B<>, -12SA S-O4<>,and -12SA S-11<>.

RS, I just noticed I didn't have a 1.54M rifle in my list!! Thanks for sharing. I'll add it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.