Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a refurb 1943 Tula 91/30 PU and have a few questions. First - was the scope number on the left hand side of the barrel added during refurb? Second - Does the bolt appear to be forced matched during refurb or is it possible this is an original-matched bolt handle? I can't see any grinding marks, the font looks good and it is Tula marked.

Thanks!

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,247 Posts
scope number likely added during refurb since this is a Tula. The font looks slightly different on "6" and the "5" between the bolt handle than the receiver, but I'm not sure.
+1 Tulas normally didn't have a scope number added at production, plus the scope itself has been refurbed, which pretty much eliminates the possibility of it being original matching to the rifle. IMO, the bolt is also scrubbed/restamped. As mentioned above, the font is a bit different, plus you can see the change in the radius of the bolt body where it was ground.

Still, neither of those things takes away from what looks to be a very nice refurb PU. I wouldn't kick it out of my safe. :)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
It is a refurb scope (refurb mark) so it wasn't original to the rifle.
As said, the scope number was not done at Tula originally as only Izhevsk snipers had a scope number as issued. The MOLOT Tulas have this scope number to match their scope, added later.
I have a similar 43 Tula PU from Classic. It is far and away the most accurate Mosin (or Finn) I own, capable of repeat 3 shot groups to 7/16 inches at 100 yards.
(The scope refurb involved metal refurb plus usually changing the lenses for new coated ones.)
Now -targets!

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
It is a refurb scope (refurb mark) so it wasn't original to the rifle.
As said, the scope number was not done at Tula originally as only Izhevsk snipers had a scope number as issued. The MOLOT Tulas have this scope number to match their scope, added later.
I have a similar 43 Tula PU from Classic. It is far and away the most accurate Mosin (or Finn) I own, capable of repeat 3 shot groups to 7/16 inches at 100 yards.
(The scope refurb involved metal refurb plus usually changing the lenses for new coated ones.)
Now -targets!
What kind of coating are you referring to? Is it visually identifiable? I'm thinking of the blue/green hue lens coating seen on modern lenses and I don't recall seeing it on any of my refurb'ed PU scopes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 1944 TULA Molot PU had the org rifle # lined out on the scope mount and the new one added. all stampings, no electro pencil. Is this also a normal referb practice ? No scope # added to the mount, just the barrel. thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just got in from the range. With 1970's Soviet light ball surplus I had no problem having 5rds under 2 inches and dead center after doing some adjustments. I'm pretty happy with that. With some dedicated reloads I'm sure I can tighten it up a little.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Sounds like you got a good one Arty.

Notabiker, refurb practices vary. There is no consistent "normal". What does matter, both original when they left the factory and today, is that the optics package is matched to the rifle. Originally, as mentioned, Tula stamped the rifle number on the mount and Izhevsk stamped the scope number on the barrel shank. Both methods can happen with refurb, or they can do both, or they can electopencil a number or numbers on the mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.