Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just traded for a 1943 Tikka barreled round receiver 91/30. It's built on a 1938 Izhevsk receiver and has a Russian re-use prewar 1938 Tula stock. The stock has no shellac on it but kinda looks like it has an oil finish. I can't tell if it was just overagressive cleaning from the previous owner or if it was refinished by the Finnish. Does anybody know if the re-use stocks kept the shellac finish or had an oil finish?

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Can you post a pic? A 1943 round receiver is a tough one to find. Only a couple hundred of those in 1943 appear to have been made. The first 2500 or so, IIRC, were hex receivers. Most tend to be straight Finnish in characteristics also. Finnish 2 piece stocks and Finnish blade front sights.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a 1944 Tikka round 1939 Izhevsk receiver, it has the same prewar Russian stock and it was stripped and oiled by the Finns and is lighter than the finish on my M39.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,103 Posts
I've got several Finn'd 91/30s in Russian stocks, and they all appear to have an oil, or oil/pine tar finish.
Let's see some pics of your '43 Tikka round, not a rifle you see everyday:)

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Stock looks right on my iPhone. I think you're alright.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,011 Posts
Nice rare gun!
I have a 43 Round - looks like my stock. Many of the 43s actually saw combat while the later 44s were made after the war.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,103 Posts
Agreed, looks like a proper Finnish finish;)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,777 Posts
It looks like it was built on a battlefield pickup receiver as well, one that sat out in the elements for at least a season judging by its rough surface.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts