Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I acquired this Enfield over the weekend in a trade (I have the other rifles in my Mosin Nagant thread if anyone wants to view them). I know close to nothing about Enfields but I knew this one was going home with me. Any opinions would be appreciated!

1943 ROF Enfield No4 Mk1 (2 groove barrel)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's not an Enfield. That's a 1943 Maltby. For a '43 ROFM it looks way too good to me.
Mind schooling me in on the difference? Everything I found said it was an enfield. Guess I learn something new everyday!

As far as the rifle, I got it from a collector (he usually collects Remington's and winchesters though). He didn't know hardly anything about it. The bore looks brand new and it has dust in all of the corners which is the way I like to find rifles. Finish looks original and everything that I have found has matching numbers

·
Registered
845 Posts
Lee Enfield, #4/Mk1 made at the Maltby factory in 1943. Nice looking rifle for sure and should be a great shooter after some cleaning and checking out head space and such.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Mind schooling me in on the difference? Everything I found said it was an enfield. Guess I learn something new everyday!
Only that you said:
1943 ROF Enfield No4 Mk1
:)

OK, here we go for starters. ROF stands for Royal Ordnance Factory. While the No4 rifle was originally designed at Enfield in the 30's, the bulk of UK production was actually carried out at ROF Maltby, ROF Fazackerley, and by BSA (Birmingham Small Arms). In additon to those mentioned, Savage in the US and Long Branch in Canada.

So, while we still call them all Enfields in a generic sense, Enfield did not actually manufacture your rifle. It was made at ROF Maltby...which is a bit less common than the others.
Stick around and you'll catch on. :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
For a '43 ROFM it looks way too good to me.
Not sure why this would be...mid-war Maltbys tend to show excellent fit and finish. This one looks very much like it could be one of the unissued ones from the Turkish tender of five or six years ago. I've got one, and it's a beauty. If the bolt on this one matches, all the better...they weren't very careful matching them up (the Turkish batch, I mean). Very nice rifle...if it's like a lot of Maltbys mentioned hereabouts (including my two), it ought to be a very good shooter.

"Lee Enfield" = Lee action/Enfield rifling...the origin of the name, anyway.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Most mid-war Maltbys were rode hard and it's very unusual to find one in that nice of shape. I didn't want to make any assumptions based on the few photos. Slim chance of finding one in near-new condition these days, didn't see any FTR markings, not enough to go on for me to tell if the stock and finish were all original correct or a more recent restock....I have no way of knowing sitting here on my end.
I certainly didn't want to poo-poo someone's rifle on a WAG, so all I said was how good it looked to me (which it does)...and without making any mention of me shaking my head. Which fortunately nobody could hear shaking ;)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most mid-war Maltbys were rode hard and it's very unusual to find one in that nice of shape. I didn't want to make any assumptions based on the few photos. Slim chance of finding one in near-new condition these days, didn't see any FTR markings, not enough to go on for me to tell if the stock and finish were all original correct or a more recent restock....I have no way of knowing sitting here on my end.
I certainly didn't want to poo-poo someone's rifle on a WAG, so all I said was how good it looked to me (which it does)...and without making any mention of me shaking my head. Which fortunately nobody could hear shaking ;)
What areas of the rifle do you need photos of to get a better judgement?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
That's what I'm saying JB...a pretty good number of the Turkish bunch seem to have been unissued (and a lot of the ones that I've seen turn up are Maltbys), and are in like new condition. From both the pictures and the importer's billboard, I'm willing to be that this is one from that lot. There's actually a pretty good chance of scoring a really nice mid-war No.4 these days thanks to the Turks.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's what I'm saying JB...a pretty good number of the Turkish bunch seem to have been unissued (and a lot of the ones that I've seen turn up are Maltbys), and are in like new condition. From both the pictures and the importer's billboard, I'm willing to be that this is one from that lot. There's actually a pretty good chance of scoring a really nice mid-war No.4 these days thanks to the Turks.
I agree, it looks good to me and likely Turk. The front band rust/discoloration seems typical even on unissued ones. Mag bright blue vs. duller metal on rest of receiver also typical. I have a couple just like this and matching and saw many, many more in equally nice shape from the Turk batch that unfortunately had the bolt swapped.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If you guys are in agreement and since I was on the fence anyway, I'll go along with that. :)

What areas of the rifle do you need photos of to get a better judgement?
As many photos as you can take. It's not often we see one in that shape! Postwar rifles and FTR's yes, but hardly ever a midwar rifle. They exist but are seldom seen. Focus on areas with markings. Maltby was a little sparce in that department but anything helps. Especially on the wood if there are any on the underside of the butt and forend.

Don't be shy about showing it off!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crown? Under the wrist area where you put your hand

Towards the front of the barrel on the bottom side of the gun

Matching bolt

By magazine

Imprint on stock from buttplate

Under buttplate

I had to use different camera settings/backgrounds to get these to focus. If there is anywhere else I should photograph let me know! I have yet to disassemble an Enfield yet so that will be an experience

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Nice one Muffet...I've got a '42 Maltby in very similar condition. Any idea where yours came from? I ask because mine has a D^D property mark stamped on the butt, just along the edge of the butt plate.

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
Nice rifle.
I don't know why you reckon midwar rifles in good nick are rare, I've had this one since the late '60's.
View attachment 765809 View attachment 765810 all original.
They aren't all that rare. I have an UNFFIRED 1942 Long Branch that evidently only came out of its crate long enough to have NZ property marks stamped on it. The REST of the rifles in that crate were consecutively serialed (both the LB AND NZ serials) to each other (and to my rifle) when I bought it in the late 1960's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts