Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up off Gunbroker last week. 1943 Izhevsk M38 in a wartime laminated M44 stock, which from what I've read are not all that common (not to mention, I love the color of the shellac). The markings on the tang are really sharp and match those inside the stock, which leads me to believe this may be the original stock for this piece (or not, who knows? :)). The stock finish is nearly flawless.

Trigger is nice and crisp, and the bore is nice. Counterbored as usual, but that's to be expected. Import mark is in two spots: under the front sight (with the importer's info) and on the receiver (serial number).

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts
Nice find. Love laminate 38's. I have one just like it but in a 38 laminate stock. The pics don't really show the layers. Are you sure its laminate? Planning on shooting it?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Nice M38.
I agree, the stock is not laminate. Best way to be tell for sure is to remove the buttplate and look for layers.
Oh, it's laminated all right. There is really no need to remove the buttplate to confirm it, just look at the top or bottom of the stock.

The Beechwood laminated stocks often look like hardwood Birch at a glance, so it's easy to be fooled by side pics. ;)

Attachments

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
Oh, it's laminated all right. There is really no need to remove the buttplate to confirm it, just look at the top or bottom of the stock.

The Beechwood laminated stocks often look like hardwood Birch at a glance, so it's easy to be fooled by side pics. ;)
Appears to be early war time. Better pics would be nice :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hehe, I'd hoped you reply! :-D

All, I bought the carbine from Ken. :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
I respectfully withdrew my earlier comment about the laminations on this m38...I have seen several laminate m38's and m44's and I own a laminated m91/30...but, they look WAY different from this earlier version!!...

...thanks for posting, I love this forum!!... ;)

...I learn something new EVERY day!!...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Another outstanding carbine from Ken! I love that rare and desirable 1943 beech laminated stock - could be an M43 stock (M43's look just like M44's but aren't because they are dated 1943, something people who don't comprehend the linier and unidirectional nature of time fail to grasp) or it could be an 1943 M38 stock that was later inletted for the M44 bayonet.

From what I can see in the photo the inletting for the bayonet looks very well done and there is no added wrist crossbolt, so it is quite possible this is an unmodified M43 stock, which would be correct and maybe even original to this rifle. The correct original finish for this stock would have been oiled bare wood or a very thin, clear, semi-gloss looking shellac.

The small and discrete early import markings also add a good bit of value and collectability to it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I can see in the photo the inletting for the bayonet looks very well done and there is no added wrist crossbolt, so it is quite possible this is an unmodified M43 stock, which would be correct and maybe even original to this rifle.
I'm pretty sure this stock is original to the rifle. I should've taken a pic when I had it apart, but like I wrote above the markings inside the stock are definitely a match for what's on the tang.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Another outstanding carbine from Ken! I love that rare and desirable 1943 beech laminated stock - could be an M43 stock (M43's look just like M44's but aren't because they are dated 1943, something people who don't comprehend the linier and unidirectional nature of time fail to grasp) or it could be an 1943 M38 stock that was later inletted for the M44 bayonet.

From what I can see in the photo the inletting for the bayonet looks very well done and there is no added wrist crossbolt, so it is quite possible this is an unmodified M43 stock, which would be correct and maybe even original to this rifle. The correct original finish for this stock would have been oiled bare wood or a very thin, clear, semi-gloss looking shellac.

The small and discrete early import markings also add a good bit of value and collectability to it.
You are absolutely spot on Marcus. I might add that the bayo groove appears to have been cut with a router and is slightly different than the typical later M44s in that the groove is shallower at the front.

The lack of sling slot eschutcheons made it an instant buy when I encountered it at a gun show years ago.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are absolutely spot on Marcus. I might add that the bayo groove appears to have been cut with a router and is slightly different than the typical later M44s in that the groove is shallower at the front.

The lack of sling slot eschutcheons made it an instant buy when I encountered it at a gun show years ago.
Yep, it's a very nice gun. I like laminated-stock Mosins and when I saw this one, I knew it was something you don't see all that often. Now I just need to find that elusive laminated M38 stock! :-D

·
Gold Bullet Member
506 Posts
Ken, that is subtle. I stand corrected. The beech laminate stocks on my M38s are much more obviously laminated and have a characteristic grain, thus my comment. My baseline of M38s is lacking an example with an interesting laminate stock like LukeFF has. Again,nice M38.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts

Had that picture been included in the original post, there would have been no doubt on my end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.