Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this rifle and would like to see what I may need to gently take it back to OEM.
Serial number 1738570, barrel date 3-43 .
I have not picked it up yet, but have spent a few minutes with it. (I have an uncut -6 op rod o the way as well as an original set of Type II rear sights.)

My questions:
It has a welded saw cut gas cylinder. If you were restoring this rifle, would you replace it ? If so, with a narrow base or a wide base?
When was this rifle manufactured?
Does the front sight look correct for a 1943 Springfield?

Finally, I am looking at Duff's book but my 1738570 serial falls about mid-way between two rifles, 1571899 and 1860650.

Does anyone have a data sheet for a rifle that is closer to my gun ?

BTW, the finish is a bit finer and more olive colored than the photos suggest.

Thanks, for any help.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,829 Posts
Your front sight is too wide - could be Winchester or IHC. Your barrel date 3-43 is just within the three month overlap. I have seen
a 1,69415 that has a S A 6-43 dated barrel and a 1,762052 with a SA 7-43 dated barrel. Data from both of these rifles show the
following: Bolt rev 12 heat lots-s-04<> both have identical trigger housings rev 12, hammers -5SA, safety 9 SA operating rods
D35382 6 SA. Type 2 lock bar stocks are SA EMcF.

the gas cylinder saw cut was a modification to make the cylinder fit the barrel tighter and a production part

·
Gold Bullet member
1,829 Posts
RS,
Thank you for the info. Could you clarify your comment " safety 9 SA operating rods ".
Are you saying that:
-the Safety should be a 9?
-Or that the op rod should be a 9?
Sorry on the data, mix-up 1,690415 has D35382 6 SA op rod and C46015-9SA safety

serial number 1,769052 has a D35382 6 SA op rod and C46015 -9SA safety
both rifle have the type 2 lock bar
both rifles have the SA EMcF stock with flat bottom clip latch and small cross cannon stamp on the top
of the pistol grip. rear hand guards have the stamped band

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RS,
Great information, and extremely useful.
With the serial number of 1738570, should this rifle have a narrow base or a wide base gas cylinder? According to my Duff book, it appears that this is an overlap time frame for both styles. What's on the rifle currently is a narrow base with the diagonal saw cut that has been tack welded. I also have a wide base with the straight saw cut without any tack welds.
What would be more appropriate ?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,829 Posts
RS,
Great information, and extremely useful.
With the serial number of 1738570, should this rifle have a narrow base or a wide base gas cylinder? According to my Duff book, it appears that this is an overlap time frame for both styles. What's on the rifle currently is a narrow base with the diagonal saw cut that has been tack welded. I also have a wide base with the straight saw cut without any tack welds.
What would be more appropriate ?
The saw cut gas cylinders were not in factory production, you could use it but not original, Either narrow base or wide base gas cylinder as
overlap during this period

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.