Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
12,752 Posts
I've also seen bubba's strip the finish on the laminate stocks and proudly display their work.
In my opinion, there’s absolutely no doubt that the stock’s finish was stripped by a prior owner. It did not leave Russian service or military reserves in this condition.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,996 Posts
Oh no, I have to agree with Richard again😲. Post 13 and 15 show accurately what the overrun of shellac onto the top edges of the barrel channel. Absence of that dark line is a bit of a clue as to having been done by someone who was being careful and making a nice even finish rather than slopping it on and moving to the next one.

Reactions: K.H.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Lack of scope number on the barrel is very common on these refurbs.
This is an older import, perhaps pre-2000, based on the translation of the serial number on the barrel. I can say with certainty that this was NOT common on these older imports. It’s why I decided to bring it up, it’s abnormal. Even on the newer Molot imports it’s not normal.

I believe the toe splice on the laminate stock also indicates that it’s a postwar stock. Whether this matters or not is a person preference.

I would feel a lot better buying this gun in hand and removing the action from the stock. I want to see the inletting and how old it looks. When you’re buying something as expensive as a sniper, the fewer “well buts..” it has the better it will gain value. Now it’s
-but some guns had the serial buffed off
-but some never had it restamped
-but the stock has been scrubbed to death
-but it’s a postwar stock.

The fewer buts the better. At $500-600 it’s hard to argue. The parts are worth that much anymore.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
All laminate stocks are postwar btw
All PU snipers were overhauled post war ,as I understand it yes !! Any PU with a damaged stock beyond use was replaced ,yes ? Rebuilding started in the late 1940's and went into the 1950's yes ? the Laminated stocks came into use in the war 1944 ? And were used as replacement stocks for 91/30 rifles and carbines there after ? My Molot came with a light colored laminated stock , There is no evidence there was any sign of shellac inside of the receiver or barrel locations . The Molot imports are considered correct rebuilds from the 40's and 50's . I paid extra for select grade 1944 PU , when I received it I called Classic and asked about the stock and how they chose the select up grade . They said they looked at 10 rifles that were in all matching condition and had the best stock condition ,The owner of Classic did not clean or remove any finish's from the wood or metal on any of their guns . He said out of the 100's of PU snipers they had to sell there were only 6 or 7 that had laminated stocks ! So is mine correct yes . Remeber ,the Classic Arms I am referring to is the one that sold out to the current owners who seem to have less than best reputation .

·
Registered
768 Posts
Laminate stock snipers were restocked postwar, that is a known fact, since this was refurbished postwar it has an acceptable variation. I do not see any problems with it, now certainly checking the inside and action for resnipering is good to do, but that is true for any older import sniper.
jmg

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
So, if I am understanding things correctly, a laminated stock that has been sanded, or is "unfinished" is NOT a normal nor natural state for the stock to be in. In other words, it is a stateside Bubba job, and was never something done by the
Soviet Union. I have seen many posts where some poor fella thinks that his Bubba finished Mosin is a rarity, or is something new or different. A sanded or raw wood stock would be a MAJOR red flag for me at least...

·
Gold Bullet member
14,169 Posts
If the price is near a normal refurbed Izhevsk PU, I would buy it. It is certain, IMO, that it is a refurb stock. I have never seen an original stock with a wrist bolt.. It is pretty certain that the stock finish has been removed, sadly. A refurb escaping a coat of shellac(apparently not Shellac but some old lacquer that was prone to flaking) is very unlikely.

It had a scope number, which was removed. It is normal it would not have a new scope number stamped as this facility refurbed by putting the electro-penciling the rifle and scope number on the outside of the mount. Was it an ex-sniper that was restored? I doubt it, it looks too well done. Pictures of the inside of the mount and close ups of the drilling of the base would be helpful. Did it get a stock from a regular refurbed 91-30? Again, very well cut from what can be seen. I bet it was just one that got a laminate stock when refurbed.

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,308 Posts
This is an older import, perhaps pre-2000, based on the translation of the serial number on the barrel. I can say with certainty that this was NOT common on these older imports. It’s why I decided to bring it up, it’s abnormal. Even on the newer Molot imports it’s not normal.

Both of my examples are also very early imports, FYI. I suspect that certain facilities did 100% of their refurbs this way but who knows.

Anyone have a "boxed X" refurb (Arsenal #2, Kiev, Ukrainian Soviet Republic) with scope numbers remaining on the barrel?

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,308 Posts
If the price is near a normal refurbed Izhevsk PU, I would buy it. It is certain, IMO, that it is a refurb stock. I have never seen an original stock with a wrist bolt.. It is pretty certain that the stock finish has been removed, sadly. A refurb escaping a coat of shellac is very unlikely.

It had a scope number, which was removed. It is normal it would not have a new scope number stamped as this facility refurbed by putting the electro-penciling the rifle and scope number on the outside of the mount. Was it an ex-sniper that was restored? I doubt it, it looks too well done. Pictures of the inside of the mount and close ups of the drilling of the base would be helpful. Did it get a stock from a regular refurbed 91-30? Again, very well cut from what can be seen. I bet it was just one that got a laminate stock when refurbed.
Sometimes this facility put the scope number on the INSIDE of the mount and the rifle serial number on he outside of the mount, too. I've seen two examples like that including one that I purchased:
Tints and shades Electric blue Gadget Cylinder Bicycle part

Trigger Air gun Shotgun Bumper Gas

Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Cuisine

Bicycle part Carbon Cylinder Office supplies Auto part

21 - 34 of 34 Posts