Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a friend that works at a local cabelas that lets me know when any military surplus gets in. This one showed up and I bought it. From what I know it appears to be a legit rearsenaled PU. From some reading I’ve done on spotting a real from a fake is as follows: screws on scope should be rounded and not flat heads, good cut out on the stock, serial of original scope on side of receiver, rounded mount to mount base connection, etc. What do you guys think? I believe it was priced right either way. Would love to keep it if it all checks out, which I think it does. Import mark is on the barrel. It’s a cai. Sorry the pics aren’t the best. Lighting wasn’t right outside so took some inside. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
Looks good to me. The laminate stock refurbs were less common. Unfortunate that some bozo stripped the finish. You might be able to recreate the "look" of the finish using Bullseye amber shellac. That's a sticky situation though. For me, personally, I'd always be a little bothered by it. That's just my particularity though

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good to me. The laminate stock refurbs were less common. Unfortunate that some bozo stripped the finish. You might be able to recreate the "look" of the finish using Bullseye amber shellac. That's a sticky situation though. For me, personally, I'd always be a little bothered by it. That's just my particularity though
I read a couple of threads on other forums where stocks like these with no finish have been seen and may be proper. There are lightly colored laminate stocks out there. Not sure if they are like this one. This one came out of a collection where the owner sanded/steel wooled the stocks on his rifles so it’s likely it happened with this one but maybe not. I’m no expert.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yep, it's a legit refurb PU sniper. How much was it if not a secret?
Look's like mine I purchased from Classic When they had the MOR refurbished 91/30 snipers . The stock on mine is the same as the one shown here . A very light colored laminated with out any shellac . Do not add shellac or anything to the wood as it is very correct as it is !!! my purchase price was $575.00 delivered to my door .

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Hey guys, I have a friend that works at a local cabelas that lets me know when any military surplus gets in. This one showed up and I bought it. From what I know it appears to be a legit rearsenaled PU. From some reading I’ve done on spotting a real from a fake is as follows: screws on scope should be rounded and not flat heads, good cut out on the stock, serial of original scope on side of receiver, rounded mount to mount base connection, etc. What do you guys think? I believe it was priced right either way. Would love to keep it if it all checks out, which I think it does. Import mark is on the barrel. It’s a cai. Sorry the pics aren’t the best. Lighting wasn’t right outside so took some inside. Thanks for looking.
priced right? what was the price? did I miss it?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
what was the price? did I miss it?

·
Administrator
9,383 Posts
No one finds the lack of scope number on the barrel to be concerning....?
Not really, like has been stated, known sniper block, and while the pics of the barrel shank are not great there is signs of the scope number having been ground off.

Office supplies Trigger Cylinder Publication Office equipment

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I agree that it was certainly a sniper at one point, but the lack of scope number now is where my concern is. As a buyer I’d be concerned that it was an ex sniper that had been rebuilt in someone’s garage. The lack of scope number and the laminate stock - both uncommon features - would give me pause.

I do agree overall though. It left the factory as a sniper.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
I agree that it was certainly a sniper at one point, but the lack of scope number now is where my concern is. As a buyer I’d be concerned that it was an ex sniper that had been rebuilt in someone’s garage. The lack of scope number and the laminate stock - both uncommon features - would give me pause.

I do agree overall though. It left the factory as a sniper.
The only thing that would give me pause is the finish (or lack of) on the stock. I've seen laminate stocks, and all that I've seen had the lacquer finish. I've also seen bubba's strip the finish on the laminate stocks and proudly display their work. The rifle otherwise looks correct to me. The electropencil/etching on the mount looks good, and it matches the rifle and scope. I know the one fella stated that he received a laminate stock in similar condition. I've not seen one that hasn't been bubba'd. Some could have come in with a lack of finish....I only bought four rifles direct from import years ago when they were being sold...never bought a laminate. So, I don't know for certain if they all had the lacquer finish.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts