Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this one locally. I believe that it’s original albeit an arsenal refurb. Not one of the resnipers that were imported a few years ago. From the research I’ve done it looks like a late 1943 dated “Progess” with silumin eyepiece. Looks like the optic and the rifle SN are electro penciled on to the mount. Is my though correct that this is an original?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Legit, but the scope has been replaced
When you say replaced, do you mean in an Arsenal refurbishment of the rifle post WWII? I never assumed the scope to be original to the rifle as originally assembled in 1943.

Who assembeld them and electro penciled the optic and and rifle number to the mount would be a better question.

·
Administrator
9,553 Posts
Could have been the arsenal, could have been someone stateside. The scope is EP'ed to the mount, but the number is different from scope S/N on the barrel shank. The rifle S/N EP'ed on the mount appears to have been done latter, which seems a little odd.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,250 Posts
They are pressed in escutcheons.
In that case, my guess is that it's a legit PU on which someone swapped out or added the scope and mount post import. The scope and mount are genuine, BTW.

It looks pretty legit in a lot of ways, but it would be pretty unusual to see a refurbed PU with the original scope number (and that is the factory original scope number) unmolested in any way (buffed out, crossed out, etc.) and a non-matching scope setup installed. To add further complication, I have seen quite a few ex-PUs with unmolested original scope numbers.

In any case, for purposes of potential price (and future possible resale considerations), figure a substantially lower value than a matching specimen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.