Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. But I wanted to ask about my BAR sling that i received with a Belgian Mauser of all things.
I looked closer and found that it has a 1943 Hickok stamp on it, and it has the 3 hooks.
Please find attached some photos.
Also if i were to sell it, what prices should i be looking at?

Thanks
Corey

Wood Rectangle Textile Road surface Grey
Wood Sleeve Rectangle Grey Road surface
Sleeve Wood Grey Road surface Tartan

·
Registered
845 Posts
Very uncommon. I'd treat it with an oil-based conditioner. Pure neatsfoot is good. Lexol is o.k. Ballistol is DEATH.

High quality repros go for about seventy-five bucks or so.

I'd say it's worth ( it's rarer, but the "homes" for it are much more limited!!! ) about what a straight M1907 is worth, say $75-120, if properly conditioned and without hard spots.

Bought a lot of those, new, back in the sixties, at Camp McCoy surplus disposal, and for a while thought ALL G.I. leather slings originally had 3 hooks, some fool somewhere cutting off one of the hooks. Not much later got some WWI dated, unused original M1907's and realized that wasn't quite a proper conclusion.

Apparently these were officially called the "Model of 1907, Modified", albeit any of the WW2 B.A.R.-men I knew called 'em "Model 1918" or just "B.A.R. slings". One of my veteran relatives, who especially loathed the Carbine ( "They screw up all the time, and have no power!" ) used one of these on his M1 Garand, because he found it more stable when wrapped around gear on his person or in the back of his half track.

That one seems to have brass hooks, just a tad unusual for 1943 production, as most were blackened steel by then.

·
Registered
586 Posts
About the only difference between a Model 1907 leather sling and a Model 1907 Modified leather sling (i.e., BAR sling) is the BAR sling has one less set of holes on the long strap and a third hook added to the long strap.

·
Registered
845 Posts
All B.A.R. slings are relatively uncommon. Rare may be too strong a word. I've never seen a Hickock B.A.R. sling and not many of that maker at all. Almost all I have seen were unmarked, Rock Island, or MILSCO, with a smattering of WWI makers in the mix.

There are B.A.R. slings which are longer and have MORE holes, mostly early ones from right after World War I, probably experimental.

But rare?

I guess that would be a matter of opinion. They're sure not common.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hickok made both regular Model 1907 slings as well as the Model 1907 Modified sling for the BAR. Everyone I have seen over the years was dated 1943. They are a bit less common than some of the other WWII sling makers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts