Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After three failed attempts to acquire an HRA service grade rifle from a WTB posted on the CMP forums, my son and I decided to make the 3-hour drive to the South Store in Anniston, AL to select a field grade HRA. Upon arrival, we found two HRA's field grades against the back wall, and the ME/TE on both rifles were 3/4 & 3/5. Since I was looking for a shooter, these rfiles would not do. I was somewhat heart broken. I wandered around the store, until I saw Orest himself step into the store... long story short, he asked what I was looking for, and I said a field grade. He ordered 10 Winchester field grades to be brought out onto the floor. From the group of ten, I selected a 1942 WRA with original barrel, that measured ME=2, TE=2... Here are some pics from Good! Friday...

Orest (in black) and Leon...

The eight remaining WRA's before I left for home...

The hang tag from my rifle...

After we arrived home...

Natural finish to boot...

I also picked up a can of HXP and 25 enblocs... it was a Good Friday!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Lucky You!

Wish I could call in; I'll have one of the Winchesters!

In our last two trips South, there wasn't enough time to stop. Someday...

T.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll say it sure was a GOOD FRIDAY !!!!! Some guy's have all the luck!!
Congradulations
My luck is usually bad, I figured with a rainey drive, that the trip might have been doomed... but I must say, that I'm am glad I went.

You done good. Wish I could have been there and grabbed one of the Winchesters. Congrats.
They were all nice finds.. the one I put back was a reparked rifle, that gauged ME=1/TE=2... It would have been a great deal as well... but it is hard to find a shootable WRA original.

Beautiful rifle! I love the rack numbers for some reason. Just gives em a little character.

M1 Garand: late '44 Springfield
1903A3: Early '43 Remington
I'm starting the clean up now, working with the metal parts for the moment. The metal had lots of carbon and grime all over them. As for the stock... it is a Rock Island Arsenal rebuild, so I need to take that I do not disturb the stamp or the rack numbers as I clean. The stock has lots of crap on the wrist, where gunk flowed out of the receiver and trigger group, and trashed the stock as it sat on the rack... Mineral spirits should be gentle enough on the stock, to only remove the oild and dirt, and not the history.

"field grade" it might be called, but it is a beautiful rifle nonetheless. Thank you for posting.
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that. Those Ten Winchesters had to have been the most beautiful rifles I have seen at the CMP in a while... Knowing ther situation with the CMP ahead of time, forced me to lower my expectations... Although I would have been very disappointed, I was ready to go home empty-handed if that was going to be the way of it... Sometimes it pays to be the procrastinator.

Lucky You!

Wish I could call in; I'll have one of the Winchesters!

In our last two trips South, there wasn't enough time to stop. Someday...

T.
Make your trip soon. I hear the distant rumbles of CMP forum members who fear the stores are slowly going to be closing. Nothing confirmed... just rumblings. But to walk in a store and only see two field grade rifle for sale... on a Friday... Worst I have ever seen.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'm about done cleaning and oiling everything for use, the long pole being the stock, which I need to wait on boiled linseed oil cure time... when I'm satisfied, then I'll go to the range.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on a great find and a thumbs up for CMP for the personalized service!
Finally I am in the right place at the right time... The CMP has always been good to me. I wish they could stay around longer, but once the M1's are gone.......

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Make your trip soon. I hear the distant rumbles of CMP forum members who fear the stores are slowly going to be closing. Nothing confirmed... just rumblings. But to walk in a store and only see two field grade rifle for sale... on a Friday... Worst I have ever seen.

We've got a road trip planned in June/July; Mt. Rushmore, Rocky Mtn. National Park, Grand Canyon, and Texas (wife's relations). I hope I can get a stop in AL on the way home.

T.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We've got a road trip planned in June/July; Mt. Rushmore, Rocky Mtn. National Park, Grand Canyon, and Texas (wife's relations). I hope I can get a stop in AL on the way home.

T.
Sounds like an awesome trip plan... I would not think they would close the doors by the summer, and hopefully they will keep the racks ecently supplied with field grades etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you saying you already have a SA service grade?

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
I once had an M1, but the army made me give it back when I left.:cry:
fast forward
Got what remained of one from a dealer friend
No rear sight, no stock, shot out barrel
At the time I was in the ANG
Unit armourer supplied the rear sight, and one of the other guys in the unit wanted to convert his to .308, so the armourer pulled the barrel and installed it on my rifle.
Got replacement wood from another source
Traced the serial number and the rifle was made in Feb of 42
Now it's obviously not all "original" BUT it works!
One more thing, the bolt lug was magnafluxed and found to be cracked so again , our unit armourer gave me a replacement.
What remained came out of the Phillipines so the chances of it making a few good Japs are pretty good!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Are you saying you already have a SA service grade?
I have 2 SA's; one in SG 12/42 and one in FG 8/44, but no Winchester of any kind in my WWI/WWII collection. The SG is a Greek return, and the FG was a CMP build up with actually correct parts for it's 2/55 barrel. They put it in a correct beat up SA/GAW 4/44 stock with a Danish keel serial number, so I finished it to look like a Dane. The FG stock is loose and needs 12 clicks versus 7 of the SG of elevation at 100 yards, but I get better groups with it.

T.

I wasn't really planning on a 3rd Garand. Next on my shopping list is a matching 1917 Erfurt Kar98 I've been watching, or a M96 American Krag. For a Winchester I'd like something I don't have - maybe a P14 still in .303.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I once had an M1, but the army made me give it back when I left.:cry:
fast forward
Got what remained of one from a dealer friend
No rear sight, no stock, shot out barrel
At the time I was in the ANG
Unit armourer supplied the rear sight, and one of the other guys in the unit wanted to convert his to .308, so the armourer pulled the barrel and installed it on my rifle.
Got replacement wood from another source
Traced the serial number and the rifle was made in Feb of 42
Now it's obviously not all "original" BUT it works!
One more thing, the bolt lug was magnafluxed and found to be cracked so again , our unit armourer gave me a replacement.
What remained came out of the Phillipines so the chances of it making a few good Japs are pretty good!
Build one! I love it. I have looked at many barreled receivers and considered building my M1 Garand... Lordy at the cost stack on a project like that nowadays.

I have 2 SA's; one in SG 12/42 and one in FG 8/44, but no Winchester of any kind in my WWI/WWII collection. The SG is a Greek return, and the FG was a CMP build up with actually correct parts for it's 2/55 barrel. They put it in a correct beat up SA/GAW 4/44 stock with a Danish keel serial number, so I finished it to look like a Dane. The FG stock is loose and needs 12 clicks versus 7 of the SG of elevation at 100 yards, but I get better groups with it.

T.

I wasn't really planning on a 3rd Garand. Next on my shopping list is a matching 1917 Erfurt Kar98 I've been watching, or a M96 American Krag. For a Winchester I'd like something I don't have - maybe a P14 still in .303.
Nice rifles. I would like to add a Garand from each of the manufacturers, all of the shooters. Eventually retiring them so I can build up to a "special" shooter designated rifle... That's five Garands, which would be very ambitious for me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used my wifes nice Nikon to capture some candids of my Winchester...

Right now the rifle is in disarray again, as I am replacing many of the "easier" components to correct; i.e. Trigger group; bolt (already done); Front sight (already done). I am also installing a couple repro parts such as the gas plug screw and rear sight. The rear sight is getting Type II loackbar repro's... this is a double wrong, as a 1942 Winchester would have had "flush-nut" sights, not repro lockbars, let alone real Type II's (except in a rebuild). But for $52 for a set or repro's lockbars as opposed to $600 for flush nut... I'm okay with faking it for a while. Besides, it's not like I have to drill the action to mount the new built components. And that is how I justify it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.