Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
and last but not least - part 3:

28) Underneath the Rear Sight Ladder: M

Figure 25: Again, No clue what this (M) signifies. This one possibly looks like something else may have preceded the M at some point so I’m not even sure if this is the same symbol that appears elsewhere on this rifle.

29) Under the Rear Sight Ladder: 2

Figure 26: Don’t know what this “2” stamp up at the top of the picture means.

30) Both sides of the Rear Sight Guards: OA

Figure 27: Rear Sight Guards manufactured in Orange Rifle Factory No.3 (OA).

So, I believe that is all the Markings on this gun, although I suppose its possible that there may be some hidden by the aftermarket scope mount. To reiterate (from post 1) the interesting thing is that I do not see a Broad Arrow stamp anywhere. If the rifle was shipped back after the war it makes sense that the opposing, sold out of service Broad Arrow stamp might be missing, but why isn’t the original one there? Were Australian SMLE’s not marked with them (I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Lithgow’s with these marks on the Nock’s form)? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Nice looking Lithy, but loose the Promag thingy and get hold of a Lithgow magazine. your are correct about markings under the scope mount. possible dispersal marks or Austrailian defense district marks ( isnthat correct terminology?).

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm just going to jump in with both feet and say I think the replacement butt story is rubbish if its based on the "1943" assembly date being in conflict with the date on the butt socket, because it is not.

The rifle action was made in late 1942 (maybe August/September) and assembled in 1943 hence the stamp on the timber work.

The muzzle looks to have had a painted band removed at some time, a post WW2 cadet marking from Australian service probably.

Other than that, a matching Lithgow SMLE less the dodgy magazine and mount.

Whats the barrel date under the rear hand guard?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Thanks Tahoe! I didn't realize I had an aftermarket magazine since I had nothing to base mine off of. Are original mags marked in any particular way?
The magazines can be found, sometimes pricey. here are some pics for reference: Sterling 7.62 No4, Indian 2A1 7.62, No4 .303, No1 .303. notice the rounded solid bottom and sides. Also notice the ribs on the No1 run the full length. The catch area on the back also is elongated on the No1.

Stcik with the guys here and you will gain a lifetime of knowledge. I learn something new on a regular basis.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.