Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently added this 1942 Lithgow to my collection. Had some less than ideal information and photos to make my decision on, but was pleasantly surprised when I pick it up. Considering some of the rubbish that is selling for crazy money at the moment, I think I did well on this one. A neat little carving on the butt, 3 Allied flags and some wording? The butt appears to have been replaced for some reason, probably in 8/44 and is an early Lithgow Qld maple type issued to 1MD at some point. A mint barrel to top it off. Regards Anthony

Gas Cylinder Bicycle part Trigger Metal

Trigger Wood Cylinder Gas Gun barrel

Wood Gas Cylinder Tints and shades Electric blue

Bicycle part Rim Wood Cylinder Gas

Wood Tool Bicycle part Kitchen utensil Hardwood

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Hood Vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Wood Bicycle part Rim

Wood Bicycle part Hardwood Rectangle Wood stain

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Bicycle part

Hair Water Gesture Finger Wood

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Interesting rear sight leaf. Looks like a windage adjustable one with the wheel removed completely not just pinned. Have not seen that before....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting rear sight leaf. Looks like a windage adjustable one with the wheel removed completely not just pinned. Have not seen that before....
Yes, it is a reused English sight with the wheel completely gone and then has been refinished like the rest of the rifle. A bit different..

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,596 Posts
Nice one Anthony. So many had the green band removed now, nice little addition to a very nice rifle. I note the absence of recoil plates, that pretty well makes all my own findings redundant…….thank you for that! Note also that very black finish on the metal, this seems to be quite prevalent on rifles with those early repair dates in 1944 on the butt. The scrubbed nose cap is legitimate, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I wonder if that windage sight was seized in much earlier times, the knob broke because it was and they thought it perfectly usable without further alteration. Normally they are pinned or peened. I like it like it mate, very tidy and interesting rifle.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice one Anthony. So many had the green band removed now, nice little addition to a very nice rifle. I note the absence of recoil plates, that pretty well makes all my own findings redundant…….thank you for that! Note also that very black finish on the metal, this seems to be quite prevalent on rifles with those early repair dates in 1944 on the butt. The scrubbed nose cap is legitimate, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I wonder if that windage sight was seized in much earlier times, the knob broke because it was and they thought it perfectly usable without further alteration. Normally they are pinned or peened. I like it like it mate, very tidy and interesting rifle.
A few interesting things there, I was not familiar with the type of black finish that is on this rifle, I was initially a bit unsure of it, but it appears to be very well done and consistent with the overall condition of the rifle. I was happy that someone with experience has seen other examples like it. Also the nosecap at first appeared to be a dodgy job, but again it has been coated black like the rest of it and I have now seen plenty of other “roughly“ scrubbed nosecaps. I was unfamiliar with the exact serial range for not having recoil plates, but if this one changes your notes, I’m sorry...haha.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I saw some Lithgows for sale many years ago that were advertised in the paper, one was a beautiful 1930s Lithgow that was unfortunately sold before I got there. The rest were refinished all black like yours, but had aluminium recoil blocks and appeared to have been done quite recently.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,596 Posts
I saw some Lithgows for sale many years ago that were advertised in the paper, one was a beautiful 1930s Lithgow that was unfortunately sold before I got there. The rest were refinished all black like yours, but had aluminium recoil blocks and appeared to have been done quite recently.
Yep I’ve seen that. I’ve had two with aluminium recoil plates. Both had black finish like Anthony’s, unnumbered nosecaps and mis-matched butts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts