Gunboards Forums banner

1942 Izhevsk owners: Your assistance is requested

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  RyanE 
I appreciate the reports. Really would like to see a photo of an ОГ inspection on a '42 if anyone can find one.

I am operating under the assumption that this particualr inspection was dropped late in 1942. Every 43 I have seen lacks the stamp. Do any of your 43's show an ОГ on the barrel?

My assumption is that it is a final inspection of the barrel install. The initials are probably the chief inspector (or someone similar) assigned to Factory 74 or the factory commander. Original Soviet documentation would be nice though...

The small barrel inspection does match the stock inspection before 1943 (except during command change overs), but is dropped by 1943.
I will check for you, hopefully tonight. These rifles take up the bottom row of my crate, so it will take a few minutes to get them out.

Ok. It looks like (2) of my 9 1943 Izhevsk rifles have that stamp you were looking for on the '42's, as posted in your first post. One has a "yy" prefix, the other was I-0 followed by backwards N. (I don't know how to get Cryllic typing) Several more are heavily reground/scrubbed and several others have partial stamps of something, but I can't make it out at all. The remaining 2 or 3 had what looked like the I-0 in a circle, not always in the same spot on the rifle either.

Sorry no pics right now, I just removed the top layer in the crate and used a light to inspect the markings...

Speaking of, while on the stamping topic, one of my 1943's has a large capital "M" in the middle of the receiver above the date, under the crest. Any identification for this stamp? I attached an old photo I have of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.