Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a lot of Mosin collectors here, and many of you own 1942 Izhevsk rifles. If it would not be too much trouble, could you check your barrels for a small inspection on the left side?

You will probably see a Circle K and another Circle with two Cyrillic letters. Every one of these I have seen is above the wood-line, so there is no need to tear down your rifle.

АП? ОГ? None?

Please post your letter block when reporting!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,880 Posts
Two non-sniper/ex sniper '42 Izhevsks: one in the ИХ serial block, and one in the CX, and both have the АП mark. The last letter of the CX rifle is partially buffed off but the first letter is definitely "A", so I'm assuming it's АП.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A M91/30, Serial starts with ЛМ, has a partial stamp that looks like AI (must be АП).
A second M91/30, serial starts with ПИ, also has a partial stamp, but the O is clear, probably ОГ.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate the reports. Really would like to see a photo of an ОГ inspection on a '42 if anyone can find one.
Only '42? I can't help with that year, but if you're looking for any '43 Izhevsk info, I have a sample set of 9 rifles. :thumbsup:
I am operating under the assumption that this particualr inspection was dropped late in 1942. Every 43 I have seen lacks the stamp. Do any of your 43's show an ОГ on the barrel?

It's the acceptance stamp for the metal portion of the gun, and is the same initials as the one in the stock.
My assumption is that it is a final inspection of the barrel install. The initials are probably the chief inspector (or someone similar) assigned to Factory 74 or the factory commander. Original Soviet documentation would be nice though...

The small barrel inspection does match the stock inspection before 1943 (except during command change overs), but is dropped by 1943.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,880 Posts
It's the acceptance stamp for the metal portion of the gun, and is the same initials as the one in the stock.
Uh oh-I retract that statement-while prewar Izhevsks I've seen have the same letters on stock acceptance and barrel acceptance, that apparently changed later-see below . . .

I appreciate the reports. Really would like to see a photo of an ОГ inspection on a '42 if anyone can find one.

I am operating under the assumption that this particualr inspection was dropped late in 1942. Every 43 I have seen lacks the stamp. Do any of your 43's show an ОГ on the barrel?

My assumption is that it is a final inspection of the barrel install. The initials are probably the chief inspector (or someone similar) assigned to Factory 74 or the factory commander. Original Soviet documentation would be nice though...

The small barrel inspection does match the stock inspection before 1943 (except during command change overs), but is dropped by 1943.
Well, I have a bunch of '43s (several of them very light refurb original matching and probably in their original stocks), and you're not going to believe what I found on every last one of them. Here's the clearest example (rifle from the ЧТ serial block, but the same stamp is on ЧИ, ИИ, and ОБ block '43s I own, and a couple of them have unsanded ОГ stocks):

·
Registered
545 Posts

I will check for you, hopefully tonight. These rifles take up the bottom row of my crate, so it will take a few minutes to get them out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ok. It looks like (2) of my 9 1943 Izhevsk rifles have that stamp you were looking for on the '42's, as posted in your first post. One has a "yy" prefix, the other was I-0 followed by backwards N. (I don't know how to get Cryllic typing) Several more are heavily reground/scrubbed and several others have partial stamps of something, but I can't make it out at all. The remaining 2 or 3 had what looked like the I-0 in a circle, not always in the same spot on the rifle either.

Sorry no pics right now, I just removed the top layer in the crate and used a light to inspect the markings...

Speaking of, while on the stamping topic, one of my 1943's has a large capital "M" in the middle of the receiver above the date, under the crest. Any identification for this stamp? I attached an old photo I have of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts