Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I stop at my favorite gun store and saw they had a crate of Russian 91/30's on the floor. When I look in the crate I saw two 91/30's with laminated stocks on the bottom of the crate. I ask if I can dig in the crate to get to those two and they said yes. Since the crate was almost full I had to take the top layer off first. Most of the top layer rifles was in excellent condition so I had my fingers cross hoping those two with the laminated stocks was in excellent condition too and my luck was with me. Both has beautiful stocks and the finish was like new. One of them is a 1931 Tula with a hex receiver and the other one is a 1942 Izhevsk with a round receiver. I check both rifles bores and they look like new. I also check the head space which both pass with flying colors. The Tula magazine body has two sets of numbers on it. One number matches the serial number and the other number was line out. Rest of the parts numbers matches the serial number. The Izhevsk has all matching numbers on parts. Both rifles has a arsenal rebuild mark under the serial numbers. Since I already have a 1930 Tula with a hex receiver with a post war stock I pick the Izhevsk. After I put back the other rifles back in the crate I bought the Izhevsk and yes it was worth all that work digging around a crate full of 91/30's. Once I got it home, I clean off all that old oil and grease that was in the rifle and took some pictures. Now for the price. I paid $179.95 for the Izhevsk which isn't all the bad for one with a laminated stock and in excellent condition in my area. Earlier before I stop at the gun store, I was at a small gun show and I saw two 91/30 with post war stock going for $250.00 each.

Mid-age

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very cool rifle. I like the crispness of the date stamp. There really is nothing like being able to dig through a crate yourself and hand-pick your rifle.
I notice the lack of the wrist bolt reinforcement on this stock, is there any significance to that?

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Very cool rifle. I like the crispness of the date stamp. There really is nothing like being able to dig through a crate yourself and hand-pick your rifle.
I notice the lack of the wrist bolt reinforcement on this stock, is there any significance to that?
The wrist bolt it's self is used when streangthing that area of the stock is necessary. That area usually splits when the tang screw, and tang, are beating up against the stock during recoil. On a laminate, I would suppose the problems are similar. The lack of the bolt in that area just means they saw no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.