Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in getting an SVT for a while now but frankly hadn't gone out of my way to really try and find one. It's a lot easier to convince the wife to ignore my hundred dollar Mosins than to convince her on a thousand dollar rifle. It didn't hurt that I had never actually managed to put my hands on one either. Without that, the temptation wasn't really there.
Well, that all changed back in January when a very nice looking Izhevsk SVT popped up at one of the tables of the local gun show. I checked the price on it and that made me quickly put it back down and keep walking. Over the next week or so, I kept thinking hard about that one. I didn't have the money in the gun fund for it since I had just spent what I had on an M39. By the time I had the funds from my quarterly allocation, it would be closer to September and there was no way I'd have the discipline to make it that long without buying ANYTHING! I let the idea of an SVT drift into the back of my mind and tried to forget it. That however only lasted a month when I saw the same rifle at the next show I went to. The price had dropped enough that I thought it was reasonable, not that I had the money. I thought about a lot of things and finally decided to sell off a few of my rifles and try to get the funds together for the SVT. I picked a few rifles that I would be ok not having anymore and put those up for sale. One sold the first day, the others took a bit longer for me to get my price. Finally last Friday I had sold the last one and had enough money to make a legitimate offer.
The gun show last weekend was 150 miles south in Vancouver and I wasn't even sure whether this guy and his rifle would be there. I had to give it a try though, so my oldest son, a good friend of mine and myself drove down there not knowing quite what to expect. We got there and I started looking for the seller and sure enough, there he was! Sweet, he made the trip! I looked at his tables, hunting for the SVT that had been calling me for two months. My mind is just screaming "Where's my rifle?" while I look for it. Finally I ask the guy - "Where's the SVT"?. He looks at me and says, "Oh yeah that one. I was going to put that in my safe and keep it since it's just been sitting for so long. But it finally sold last weekend." Man, what a way to crush my hopes. We spent another hour or two at the show and then had a long drive home. With no rifle. *sigh*
I looked here and there looking for SVTs on the broker, other auction sites, the "list" etc. None of them called to me or the ones that did were so far out of my budget (or any sense of value-reality) that it just wasn't realistic. I figured I'd stop looking for a while and try to find something else to make me forget about getting one for a while. That didn't really work and I just kept looking and boy am I glad that I did. While doing a search, I accidentally misspelled SVT, yeah a three letter word, yup I misspelled that. Fortunately that misspelling found me an SVT that wasn't showing up in other searches that I was doing. Here was a possible gem that maybe nobody else had been looking at. The guy claimed that it was effectively new in the box and unfired (since refurb). I always doubt people saying that but I'll say that after getting it and cleaning it up, I think there's a very strong chance that's the case. Well, I drive out and meet the guy last night and as soon as I looked it over, I knew this was the one that had to come home to me. Everything just looked like it was in fantastic condition. So I brought it home and spent some time last night doing a reasonable first stab at cleaning it. I'll need to do a more thorough one later but I have it clean enough to take to the range tomorrow. All the internals look to be in great shape, nice bluing on all of the parts. Barrel has good rifling and is nice and bright, at least after I got the extra grease out of it!
I'll stop boring you with the story now and let you look at some photos of my new '41 Tula SVT. (In the next reply)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

The stock is really in great condition considering that it appears to have been with many other actions. Apparently she gets around a bit. I won't judge.

The bolt carrier is actually a bronze color. The bolt itself is slightly a bit bronze tending towards plum.

A couple of stamps on the top of the butt. A "2", "C" and looks like an Izhevsk triangle and arrow.

Took me a while to finally land my first SVT but I think it was worth it. Can't wait to hit the range tomorrow!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice!!
I finally got one last December....a 1941 Izhevsk Finn non-refurb!

Just so cool!
I'll probably get at least one more and it will have to be a Finn one too. A guy at work as a beautiful '38 Finn that just makes my jaw drop looking at it. Got to find some way to convince him he really doesn't want it anymore!

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,485 Posts
Wow! The grain and the coloring of that stock is beautiful. Nice rifle!

·
Copper Bullet Member
827 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous Lotema! :grin:So glad that everything worked out and you were finally able to land your "White Whale"! I was starting to get lonely at the range while you were off scouring the gun shows with no luck! Can't wait to see her in person tomorrow!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
its just a cheapie i use for pics , i rest most my rifles on sandbags at range. or my wife is tiny and she likes a bipod it works but i prefer sandbags she likes the bipods. the guns are way too heavy for her 102 lbs to hold up but she loves shooting the big guns. Not a bit recoil shy for such a tiny woman.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back from the range with the new SVT and all I can say is "Wow". I really like the way this rifle shoots! I wound up shooting 60 rounds with it and only had one stovepipe, a bit after the temp dropped and the rain set it. Other than that one, all other rounds fed perfectly. The out of box accuracy was initially quite good. First 10 rounds, had 4 grouped tightly on the bullseye and the other 6 were all "in the black" of the target. By the end of the day after the rifle had heated up, the shots dropped about 4-6 inches, though they were still grouping pretty well. I didn't spend any time fiddling with the sights today, I was more focusing on just making sure that it was cycling properly. So next weekend I'll be spending some more time to fine tune the sights. This one may be my new favorite rifle in the collection.

·
Copper Bullet Member
827 Posts
Back from the range with the new SVT and all I can say is "Wow". I really like the way this rifle shoots! I wound up shooting 60 rounds with it and only had one stovepipe, a bit after the temp dropped and the rain set it. Other than that one, all other rounds fed perfectly. The out of box accuracy was initially quite good. First 10 rounds, had 4 grouped tightly on the bullseye and the other 6 were all "in the black" of the target. By the end of the day after the rifle had heated up, the shots dropped about 4-6 inches, though they were still grouping pretty well. I didn't spend any time fiddling with the sights today, I was more focusing on just making sure that it was cycling properly. So next weekend I'll be spending some more time to fine tune the sights. This one may be my new favorite rifle in the collection.
She's even more beautiful in person! That is one sweet SVT. It was the first one I ever fired and it didn't disappoint! Kind of like an SKS on steroids. Thanks again for letting me try her out.:thumbsup:

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,094 Posts
Man, that looks like alot like my '41 Tula (no scope rails), only mine has some shellac flake in a few areas. Beautiful rifle, congrats!
Pat

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Very beautiful SVT!

If I can get an SVT-40 that will do it for me for collecting.. this year. ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on finding your wonderful SVT. The wait was well worth the initial disappointment.
Absolutely. Karma came through for me with this one. I wound up going to the range with it twice this weekend (and with Titanium Hammer) and am getting much more familiar with it. Saturday's time with it was slightly more successful as far as feeding rounds. I went through 60 rounds of commercial Tulammo and only had one stove pipe. Otherwise it cycled great. On Sunday I was using Russian surplus and the first 40 rounds went through nicely but had some issues during the last 20 rounds, including issues feeding rounds into the chamber. A couple of rounds wound up getting hung up on the feed ramp and I had to manually re-seat those to get them to feed. The one issue that un-nerved me was a possible 2 round burst. Nobody else at the range could confirm it but I had one pull of the trigger that felt absolutely different and swore I heard two bangs. I counted my rounds shot vs holes in the target at the end of that magazine and I'm pretty sure it did actually fire two with one trigger pull. I'm still thinking about what I might have done to induce this issue. Cleaning the bolt/firing pin afterwards, it was certainly dirty but not to the point I would think anything would have clogged it up.

For the magazine feeding issues, I think some of that was purely the result of the magazine getting dirty through the course of the firing. One thing I noticed was that the rounds yesterday were coming out of the chamber very dirty. Normally coming out of the Mosin, they're pretty clean (relatively speaking). However these were really coated in carbon. I didn't notice that with the Tulammo the day before. Is this common or is there something else there that I should check?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.