Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I am new to the forum, but not new to Mosin's. I started with the typical m91/30 and blasted off to m44's, m38's, DDR marks, 2x and 3x MO's, and have since found myself obsessed with [SA] Finnish Capture and Made Mosin's.

This will be a series of threads to gain as much info on them as possible, much of which I have researched and know but there are always things I don't know as well! Also, information as to their collector value as well would be appreciated.

This is my first SVT, and it CERTAINLY won't be my last! What a blast to shoot, easy on the shoulder but BRUTAL on the jaw and head when obtaining proper Cheek-Weld! My setting is 1.3 and have had no issues with 147gr light ball. The first time out on the range I did have a FTF on round #3 both times, after that I gave it an even more thorough cleaning. I was told not to get any lube on or in the piston at all when cleaning? I have been told this is an AVT stock refurb, stamped to match and a Naval Stock due to the Mosin
Escutcheon. Anything else interesting about her you can see?

Where is the best place to find mags, eBay and Forums I suppose? Going rate on orignals $150-200? Also, I had a link to a new-product SVT tool, and it was on back-order till May this year, anyone have the link for that or have one for sale?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Sweet! That means I now need to save up and put her back into her proper glory... What shows that it's a true Sniper?
Notch on the rear of the receiver is the correct shape, and the 'C' stamp on the right side of the receiver. The ЖБ letter has several other confirmed snipers as well, including ЖБ310. Yours looks like ЖБ309? Wow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well hot diggity dang! How much extra value does this give the rifle? How much are Original SVT mounts, the guy I bought this from has an original PU scope and mount for 91/30 caked in goo and in a leather case. Maybe I should buy that and utilize the scope and sell the 91/30 mount and case...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Well hot diggity dang! How much extra value does this give the rifle? How much are Original SVT mounts, the guy I bought this from has an original PU scope and mount for 91/30 caked in goo and in a leather case. Maybe I should buy that and utilize the scope and sell the 91/30 mount and case...
A lot. Recently, they have been selling north of $2K+. An original mount and scope will cost at least $2K if you can even find one, so best bet is to find a reproduction mount and mate it up with a refurbished SVT or PU scope. Easy to do and not very expensive.

I think we need to try and find ЖБ310. Sequential snipers is kind of a big deal, IMO.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does a member of that serial sniper belong to this forum? It would be quite a moment if we met up with the ol' girls for a Range Day! I see 1 post on eBay for an "original" mount and scope for $500 and another for $2,300... What do I look for?

So the rifle as it sits goes north of $2,000? So with an original mount and scope $3-4k???
:thumbsup:

·
Gold Bullet member
14,176 Posts
I agree that your SVT was a sniper when it left Tula in 1941. There is a good thread on the SVT snipers on the sniper forum, with serial number study. Apparently all from 1941 Tula have numbers less than 2000 regardless of prefix. In the US, the original mounts are unobtainium. The repro mounts will do pretty well until, and if, you hit the lottery on an original mount.

I also agree value is probably $2K, and I can tell you, in the past $2.5K was not unusal on gunbroker.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,485 Posts
Very nice!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That would not be the correct sling for that kind of stock. But all sort of slings were used.

The sling for "escutcheon stock" is rather rare and so for expencive if you can find one.

Should I put the 6 slot flash hider tip on this rifle? My FFL can get them for $30... Is it hard, and would it make the rifle more accurate for the date?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Should I put the 6 slot flash hider tip on this rifle? My FFL can get them for $30... Is it hard, and would it make the rifle more accurate for the date?
Well, the rifle is a refurb. And it will never be original again, no matter what you do. So messing with a refurb that is in state it left the refurbisment plant in the USSR is not wise.

And if you were looking for more original look you would have to swap the stock too for an SVT-40 stock. And re-white the bolt and carrier. Not anything I would recommend to do. It is what it is and it is valuable as that.

Plus the collectors value is gone when you change something.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Copy. I won't be doing any of that then, for the price it seemed like a wise decision. If someone needs SVT parts PM me, my FFL has a contact with a company that has a good # of SVT parts left, no Magazines or barrels.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.