Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seller says 'the rear sight looks like it was damaged and fixed with Tula marked parts', which makes it sound like the original rear sight was replaced with Tula made parts, due to damage. However, the damaged rear sight base is Tula made and most likely not original to the rifle.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new owner is pre98.com.

Assuming they don't return it, I imagine you will soon see this rifle on their site for around $6,000.
Thanks for the info! Interesting to see pre98.com buy it off GB.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Interesting...I knew pre98 was using the name "woodrois" to bid on GB, now the new name. Must've caught on that people realized who they were and created a new account. I agree with kampfy, it will probably show up for 6k or something with a story about how the sight is "battle damaged" and is a great example of a "wounded veteran" whilst over looking the fact that the rear sight is Tula marked. I've seen them blatantly misrepresent mismatched guns as matching. I can't argue about the capitalist aspect of paying top dollar on inflation-city GB and then marking it up even more on one's own site, but I find the ethics of it in the collecting world to be abhorrent. IIRC correctly their new way of "finding inventory" according to them is getting it off of GB, which is where the majority of their inventory is now coming from.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeez. Mine's a bit more rough, but at least everything on it is the correct arsenal. So, I wonder what mine is worth, ha!
I saw your posts on this rifle before. Although the parts are correct, yours is in much much more rough condition compared to the one just sold, especially the front end is in pretty bad shape.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The seller says 'the rear sight looks like it was damaged and fixed with Tula marked parts', which makes it sound like the original rear sight was replaced with Tula made parts, due to damage. However, the damaged rear sight base is Tula made and most likely not original to the rifle.
I wouldn't go that far. It's a little atypical to see No.314 parts on these, especially this late, but it's not impossible. No.560 had a lot of trouble getting started and you do see a lot of unmarked parts on the early ones, many provided by other factories. Some marked parts show up now and then.

As 1941 progressed, you see more and more 560 marked parts, but I don't think it's impossible that this base is original. It wouldn't bother me if the price was right for the condition.

But it will be 6k on pre98 soon with a lot of his usual salesman's BS. No thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't go that far. It's a little atypical to see No.314 parts on these, especially this late, but it's not impossible. No.560 had a lot of trouble getting started and you do see a lot of unmarked parts on the early ones, many provided by other factories. Some marked parts show up now and then.

As 1941 progressed, you see more and more 560 marked parts, but I don't think it's impossible that this base is original. It wouldn't bother me if the price was right for the condition.

But it will be 6k on pre98 soon with a lot of his usual salesman's BS. No thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Roger Sir. Thank you very much for the info.

I said that, because I was told that two other known original 1941 No.460 made SVT-40 in E serial block both have factory symbol stamped rear sight base.

But I completely agree with you, it is still possible that the base is original to the rifle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts