Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Here's a couple of shots of my '41. Slathered in green paint but matching bolt and forend as well as original barrel. No letter prefix so I guess this is the 2,528th off the line, assuming they started at 10,000?

Ruprecht
Musical instrument Wood Auto part Air gun Wind instrument

Wood Musical instrument Creative arts Folk instrument Metal

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@Ruprecht, good gravy, that's a brilliant rifle. Wow. The green paint, it may be my screen, but I can't make it out save for the stuff on the magazine. Is it the period theater paint, or a stateside job? I can't see it well enough to determine...it may be that the rifle itself has temporarily blinded me. :)

· Registered
5,494 Posts
@Ruprecht, good gravy, that's a brilliant rifle. Wow. The green paint, it may be my screen, but I can't make it out save for the stuff on the magazine. Is it the period theater paint, or a stateside job? I can't see it well enough to determine...it may be that the rifle itself has temporarily blinded me. :)
It is an official Military authorised 'amendment', allowing the previously used Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to be used for other applications.

Font Rectangle Newspaper Writing Paper

Font Paper Paper product Document Publication

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It is an official Military authorised 'amendment', allowing the previously used Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to be used for other applications.
I have a Malby with the green paint, mostly intact still, but what I was asking was if Ruprecht's rifle has the theater paint you're talking about, or a paint applied much later. I don't see much green paint at all on his rifle, that's why I was asking. (y)

· Premium Member
1,864 Posts
I assume it was done in service, but who knows? As always, it does a good job and there's no corrosion at all under the barrel. My only other '41 is a Fazakerley. The only '41 BSA's I've seen for sale had too many replacement parts for the price and Long Branch's of that vintage are worth their weight in gold up here.

Ruprecht

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I assume it was done in service, but who knows? As always, it does a good job and there's no corrosion at all under the barrel. My only other '41 is a Fazakerley. The only '41 BSA's I've seen for sale had too many replacement parts for the price and Long Branch's of that vintage are worth their weight in gold up here.

Ruprecht
I switched to my laptop. and sure enough, I can see those blotches of green paint now, all along the woodline and on the safety too. Now I see what you’re talking about, and certainly it was done in service like AdE mentioned. My one rifle that has that theater paint looks of the same color as yours.

Again, thanks for sharing those pics. Very sharp rifles. 👍🏻👍🏻

· Platinum Bullet Member
7,664 Posts
Maltby used the roll mark stamp only in 1941. Then they hired the one armed blind guy to stamp the markings after that.
(JK, their markings are notoriously poor).
Then Fazakerley employed his twin brother and the competition was on for whose stamps could make the most inventory guys cross eyed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts