Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally remembered I had this hiding in a box so I decided to get it out , take some pics and clean it up.

Matching receiver,bolt,trigger guard,butt plate. No import markings and bore is very fine, would say 8+ , sharp rifling and shiny.

Any info on this items....

1. Cocking piece was machined on the bottom to remove the serrated edge
2. T in an oval on metal uner barrel

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,841 Posts
OUTSTANDING. Something I will never have! Well done-

Poot

·
Silver Bullet member
402 Posts
Awesome, very nice!

I've never seen those two items in question.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
I have it's twin, other than a mismatched buttplate. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinPhotoII.htm That is an earlier style cocking knob. I don't know exactly when it changed but I think before 1941, maybe not though. The "oval T" mark is pretty common on M38s, but I've only noticed it on top of the barrel. Maybe it's under them also, or alternatively, and I've just never paid any attention. I also have it on the stock of the one linked above. I don't know the meaning but I'm certain it's Soviet and not Finnish.

·
Premium Member
105,709 Posts
I've seen that T on several 91/30s. Very nice carbine. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
eckman: VERY nice!

Poot: Dont give up. I found two of those things in as many years. (Probably used up my lifetime supply of milsurp-finding luck!)

Seems like the cocking knob style changed in about 1937 or 1938. Doesn't mean that it is not original to the weapon. DDR

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
That's a very nice carbine. I also found one in excellent shape a couple of years ago. I'll have to check the cocking piece though to see if it has the same configuration.

·
Administrator
3,429 Posts
Nice one! I have it's close relative, 1941 SA marked M38 with the same alpha prefix as yours but number 1963.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very nice find.....great little carbine. Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Now thats something I wouldn't mind adding to the collection.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Very nice indeed! Have you taken her out to shoot yet? Hos does she perform accuracy-wise?

Tim

·
Silver Bullet member
1,092 Posts
Very nice rifle.
I love my SA marked M38. It is also 41 dated. Just wish it was all matching. But, you don't see these too often, so mine is a keeper as well.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,841 Posts
eckman: VERY nice!

Poot: Dont give up. I found two of those things in as many years. (Probably used up my lifetime supply of milsurp-finding luck!)

Seems like the cocking knob style changed in about 1937 or 1938. Doesn't mean that it is not original to the weapon. DDR
DDR:
Thanks for the kind words. No, I won't give up! I'd LOVE to find one of those. I'll keep at it. Finding two in two years is phenomenal, at least to me.

Poot

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,747 Posts
Mmmmm

You lucky ....not polite to use SOB ... but if I had found that one, you could have called me anything you wanted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts