Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1941 Long Branch over the weekend. The wood is pretty beat up and has been sanded, but the metal is in pretty good shape, and it does not look like it has been refurbished at any point (but I do not know for sure - this is why I ask the experts!). Photos are at:

http://s1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/spinecracker/1941 Long Branch/

The back of the bolt handle looks shiny. The machining marks on either side of the shiny area look identical and have the same orientation as the machining marks in the shiny area. The serial number runs from shiny area to the unshiny area, and the font of the "2"s (one in shiney area, one in non-shiney area) is identical and the same size. It looks more like wear to me, but I am not an expert. If the bolt is a replacement, would they have replaced it with parts correct for a 1941 Long Branch (i.e. early style cocking piece). When did Long Branch stop making the bolts with the holes in the end of the bolt handles?

I may restore this rifle, if I can get the parts (the original rear sight has been butchered on the 300 yard aperture, but someone may know how to fix it, or it may be good for spares), or I might sell it to the highest bidder as a project gun. Comments?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right, after careful consideration, I am looking for a correct Mk.1 micrometer rear sight with the LB stamp, and a Long Branch fore-end with the lower right hand wall that would be correct for a 1941 Long Branch. If anyone has these items for sale, or knows of a person who does, then please let me know.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Added new photos at photobucket (same link as above). I think this restoration project may be a little too much for me - anyone think they can take it on? Finding the right forend would be a really big help, if anyone has any leads. I've already managed to source a Long Branch micrometer rear sight, and they don't exactly grow on trees.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone decided to cut it into a vee - some people deserve punishment. I have already sourced a correct replacement. To match the wear and patina, I will swap out the damaged parts when I get the replacement - this will mean that most of the parts will be original to the rifle, not just correct for the type of rifle.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From my research (ok, looking at the knowledge library at the milsurps forum), the early Long Branchs were issued with Mk. I rear sights stamped with the "LB" stamp just above the "12" and "C.A.S." on the adjusting knob, with the Mk.2 and Mk.3 sights coming along later. This rifle has the early original, albeit budda'd, Long Branch Mk.1 rear sight, and has not gone through any arsenal refurbishments (it still retains the early button cocking piece and early style safety catch, has not undergone any changes to the original metal finish, and does not have any stamps indicating reworking during an arsenal repair).

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sold the 1941 Long Branch as the restoration was a little beyond my pocket, but lo and behold, another 1941 Long Branch has fallen into my lap. I wil have to wait a little while beofre it turns up, but here are some photos:

http://s1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/spinecracker/New%20Long%20Branch%201941/

The bolt is matching, and the barrel is matching and original (dated 1942, but so was the one I just sold). I have yet to see if there are any markings that would indicate an FTR. If not, then this might be a candidate to be returned to 1941 configuration.

·
Silver Bullet member
835 Posts
Please don't go out of your way. Would you happen to remember if there was anything on the photos (besides the holes drilled in the lower ban) that had a "yuck" factor?
No real yuck factor other than the seller. TGI has less than a stellar reputation. Finding a early LB like that is rare and you have a special rifle IMHO. I'm hoping for one with a little more original finish is all.

I'm sure you'll post what you find when you get the rifle, again the best of luck with it, like a LB backsight!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No real yuck factor other than the seller. TGI has less than a stellar reputation. Finding a early LB like that is rare and you have a special rifle IMHO. I'm hoping for one with a little more original finish is all.

I'm sure you'll post what you find when you get the rifle, again the best of luck with it, like a LB backsight!
Oh, heck, yes I will post what I find. As you say, no matter what, the rifle is a rare example, and I have seen rifles in worse condition on first impression that have cleaned up nicely. My only real concerns are the bore and whether or not the rifle is mechanically sound to shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.