Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Mr. Skinnerton, 7,589 No 4 Mk 1's were delivered from Long Branch in 1941. Production soon ramped up to 4 times that, then again in 1943.
Of the 1941's that may be in collections, what is the lowest number and highest number around, and does the rifle have import markings? Any FTR marks (1/2) or other?
I'm interested in the above, and look forward to any information shared.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine's 0L57xx, matching but FTR'd (date was '50, IIRC). Wherever it came from was somewhere they numbered magazines, since it's matching as well. Don't recall any import marks but I haven't looked hard.

·
25,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Husk is low for now

Husk has the earliest 1941 so far, with what appears to be in the first 20% of production
(ever). Mine should be here tomorrow, I'll let you know then.

·
25,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New arrival 1941 Long Branch No 4 Mk 1

Mine is 1L882, which appears to have undergone some field changes, i.e. the 300/600 flip sight is here, and the bolt arm has been ground and restamped with the rifle's serial. NO FTR marks anywhere.
Some Savage parts are present, which, as I understand may be correct. (front band, for example). Stock is LB, as are most other components.
Husk, what type of rear sight is on yours?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine is 1L882, which appears to have undergone some field changes, i.e. the 300/600 flip sight is here, and the bolt arm has been ground and restamped with the rifle's serial. NO FTR marks anywhere.
Some Savage parts are present, which, as I understand may be correct. (front band, for example). Stock is LB, as are most other components.
Husk, what type of rear sight is on yours?
Any "foreign" parts are replacements.

A '41 Long Branch should be blued in original condition.

Canadian FTRs were not marked as such, but a parkerized "new" gun is a good giveaway as Long Branch didn't start parkerizing till mid-way thru 1950 production.

Cocking pieces show @8 different inspectors.

The bolt knob should have a "lightening" hole ala BSA.

Check the barrel for a breeching date. My 5groove is dated 1941 and has @5 separate inspectors. My 2groove is dated '42...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts