Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I’d put up some pics of the 1941 Lithgow I picked up. All numbers matching including forend, nice bore, lots of markings and stamps. Have been wanting one for a while that’s all matching and has a nice bore, rather than a “bitzer”. Haven’t shot it yet but it looks like it should go bang hopefully. Anyway, pics:
Wood Cylinder Gun accessory Metal Titanium

Wood Musical instrument Gas Wood stain Musical instrument accessory

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun accessory Shotgun

Wood String instrument Tool Musical instrument Hardwood

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel

Bicycle part Auto part Nickel Metal Tool

Font Artifact Lock Gas Wood

Brown Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Brown Wood Household hardware Wood stain Door handle

Wood Material property Door Gas Metal

·
Registered
Lithgow Lee Enfield No1 MkIII/III*
293 Posts
Hi @Grant76 nice ‘41. Thanks for sharing the photos. Let us know how she shoots if you take her to the range!

Reactions: timmct

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Yep, nosecap and pretty much everything else is marked ma41. I keep finding new markings the more I look!!
Yup! Funny how that works. And…if you follow the lead of some around here, you’ll have the rifle completely apart looking for markings under an electron microscope!!! :LOL: J/K

Wood has a bit more sheen to it than some of us are accustomed to. Don’t fret it. To me it looks as though the rifle has seen some range time. Wiping down before putting into the case can do that just by constant ‘buffing’.There’s no shine at all on the unexposed wood. Only the exterior.
I wouldn’t try to dull it down until I could see myself shave in it. Well, maybe not that far. It has that “works well a lot and then lovingly spoiled rotten in the safe” look to it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
@Grant76 don't want to steal your thread, but thought you would like to see my '41 lithgow. About 16K before yours. Mine is a MkIII with the magazine cutoff and baked in suncorite. It received a replacement forearm at some point so I don't have the serial number on the wood - but bolt, receiver, sight, and nose match.

Attachments

Reactions: MattyR82

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
29,043 Posts
Nice sold out of service marks. Is this an (evil) JJ&CO rifle? :)
Excellent rifle mate.

·
Registered
13,254 Posts
@Grant76 don't want to steal your thread, but thought you would like to see my '41 lithgow. About 16K before yours. Mine is a MkIII with the magazine cutoff and baked in suncorite. It received a replacement forearm at some point so I don't have the serial number on the wood - but bolt, receiver, sight, and nose match.
Neat!
Have you posted this before?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Neat!
Have you posted this before?
I have, just a few weeks ago on a different thread. i thought it also was appropriate for this one.

Reactions: DisasterDog

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry for delay - work keeps getting in the way:) I can find no FTR markings anywhere on the rifle. I posted about it a couple of years ago when I acquired it, and it was a bit of a mystery. I really like it as it is an Australian Mk III, retains the magazine cut-off, and the original 1941 barrel. It's not 100% 1941 original, but I really like it. It is not a original as the OP's rifle - his is an excellent example.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts