Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This rifle is last of the MkIII's before introduction of the MkIII*. It's all matching with the serial nicely stamped into the butt which seems to be fairly typical of South Australian ownership. 4 is South Australia isn't it? Would a piling swivel have been fitted to this gun from factory? Bore is nearly new.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,628 Posts
Not South Australian "Ownership", but 4th ( Commonwealth) Military District, Located in South Australia. If it was owned by the State of South Australia ( Police, prisons, etc) it would have the "S^A" mark on it ( SA government ownership), same as the S&W .44 Schofield revolvers, the .45 Commercial Colt ACPs, the .577 Braendlin Albinis, and so on.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This rifle is last of the MkIII's before introduction of the MkIII*. It's all matching with the serial nicely stamped into the butt which seems to be fairly typical of South Australian ownership. 4 is South Australia isn't it? Would a piling swivel have been fitted to this gun from factory? Bore is nearly new.
I have B68727 & B69002
Both are MkIIIs & both have narrow MA marked piling swivels.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks Demo,

I've long been interested in finding out exactly when the changeover took place. I have B64xxx and I had a B9xxxx which was a III*. I seem to recall the change was about B70000. Anyone have a closer figure?

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My 1941 MkIII's

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts