Gunboards Forums banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm a disbeliever in the word " unissued" in anything ww2 English. Especially anything before 1945. With the US donating civilian firearms and the lost of weapons after Dunkirk..... JMHO I would not buy on the sole idea of unissued

·
Registered
999 Posts
From the numbers that match and th info posted here I figure I got a rifle that was sold to JJCO as a barrled action with the matching bolt and they put it all together. I think I have a good shooter, I think I got really lucky in that reguard. Would you agree?
Was this the rifle sold by TheDanishMan? Lucky? Why do you care ? For good or bad you own the rifle. Enjoy it.

And like the last poster stated, outside of the documented mummied No.4s , I highly doubt anything Enfield with “unissued “ in the description .

·
Registered
12,813 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Was this the rifle sold by TheDanishMan? Lucky? Why do you care ? For good or bad you own the rifle. Enjoy it.

And like the last poster stated, outside of the documented mummied No.4s , I highly doubt anything Enfield with “unissued “ in the description .
No, plonker bought Danish’s rifle.

·
Registered
20,320 Posts
I'm a disbeliever in the word " unissued" in anything ww2 English. Especially anything before 1945. With the US donating civilian firearms and the lost of weapons after Dunkirk..... JMHO I would not buy on the sole idea of unissued
Well, since we are talking about an Australian Lithgow No.1 MkIII* so really no...the above opinion on US donation of weapons & lost weapons before & after Dunkirk is doubtful but I quite agree on finding an unissued No1MkIII* is problematic. I have two that would qualify but they are FTR to new rifles not original pre or wartime rifles. If there were / are unissued Lithgows, those nefarious Aussie's key holed them and sabotaged any shipment scheduled for export to USA..

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
102,726 Posts
My No.1 MKIII* 1941 Lithgow is most definitely NOT unissued. I guess i need to get it out and go over everything to see what I can find after reading this string, though. With some good ammo it will shoot a ragged hole about the size of a real silver dollar with ten rounds if the shooter is having a good day and doing it right and carefully each round. From sandbags, at 100 yards... Friend who has a Distinguished Rifle badge has done it a couple of times, I've come close a couple of times, but usually lose my concentration before i'm done. Dammit.

·
Registered
17,953 Posts
I'm absolutely happy with the rifle which I bought as refinished.
I was simply tying to sort the wheat from the chaff in all the contradictory information I found (some of it in this thread).
We seem to disagree on the definition of "bucket of parts flung together bitster" which may be causing confusion.
Its a matching action, bolt &barrel that's been restocked & then not RE issued.
I never said anything else.
It seems to have been well built too there's too much accurate fitting for "flung together".
Do I know WHO did it?
No, again I never said I did.

·
Registered
20,320 Posts
We simply can' have you being Happy . That won't do Plonker. Sell the rifle to me and gain salvation. LOL. It sounds like your rifle is same thing mine is but I think you have recoil pads and mine doesn't. Thus you can shoot it and I can't shoot mine. I knew that lack of recoil pad scenario when I bought mine so I've turned the page and don't dwell on it. I bought a fantasy rifle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, since we are talking about an Australian Lithgow No.1 MkIII* so really no...the above opinion on US donation of weapons & lost weapons before & after Dunkirk is doubtful but I quite agree on finding an unissued No1MkIII* is problematic. I have two that would qualify but they are FTR to new rifles not original pre or wartime rifles. If there were / are unissued Lithgows, those nefarious Aussie's key holed them and sabotaged any shipment scheduled for export to USA..
there was a whole article in the NRA magazine years ago
Black Font Material property Circle Document

·
Registered
17,953 Posts
From the numbers that match and th info posted here I figure I got a rifle that was sold to JJCO as a barrled action with the matching bolt and they put it all together. I think I have a good shooter, I think I got really lucky in that reguard. Would you agree?
As I obviously know Precisely Jack, this is probably not worth the trouble to type.
But I'd say yes.
That's what I'm going to do with mine & happily.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
We simply can' have you being Happy . That won't do Plonker. Sell the rifle to me and gain salvation. LOL. It sounds like your rifle is same thing mine is but I think you have recoil pads and mine doesn't. Thus you can shoot it and I can't shoot mine. I knew that lack of recoil pad scenario when I bought mine so I've turned the page and don't dwell on it. I bought a fantasy rifle.
Plenty of Lithgow rifles get used without plates, the factory sent out about 150000 of them.

·
2,757 Posts
Soldiers NEVER removed the woodwork from their rifles, they were simply not allowed to.
In service, SMLE’s were packed under the woodwork with “mineral jelly”.
Every time a rifle was inspected or repaired, it had the woodwork removed and everything degreased to allow for the work. I would expect every trigger guard to have at least one, sometimes several, stake marks from previous services.
‘If the front trigger guard screw locked up to the same point, it would be either staked at the other end of the slot. Because tight is tight, turning the screw a little further to get to “fresh meat” on the trigger guard isn’t likely, I’d suggest the screw would be changed to allow for a different staking point.
“Indexing mark”? Nah…. Only locked up to one point? Nah,
I’ll take some pics of a few trigger guards later…. Unlike others, I am only too keen to show pictures to help sort questions.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts