Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
I have the almost identical rifle to you.
I bought it intentionally knowing it had been IMPORTED by JJ&CO.
There may, or may not be, something there. My "JJ&CO" (or whatever) stamp is darned near invisible, very lightly struck on the charger bridge as shown above. I literally had to use a 10X high quality loupe & some very fancy lighting to even find it. with the naked eye it looked like a machining blemish it was so light.
IT IS NOT A KISS OF DEATH if you find one. It is a warning to check deeper though.
Personally I'm like you a shooter not (primarily) a collector.
To a "Pure Collector" they are considered junk, but that's viewed from a Pure Collector's specialized (& rather narrow IMO) viewpoint. EVERYTHING MUST BE "STRAC", down to the most minute detail, except when there are exceptions.
I have no problem with the importation, but if it was one of the ones "assembled from buckets of random parts, with no fitting" then I be looking at it askance too.

BUT
There were 6000 absolute by the book Lithgow-Made, gauged, inspected & approved complete original rifles.
Then there were the "large number" (I can't find a head count), of rifles that had been issued & for some reason were back at the factory, overhauled & awaiting distribution back to "Stores" & eventually to the Military Districts & then on to the regiments as requested or needed.
Then there were the ones that Needed a "full to like new" "FTR" rifles. These were restored by the factory to 85% "Like New" condition. They are stamped "FTR" & so easy to tell.
To put it into perspective tens of thousands of SMLE's, maybe more, have been FTR'd worldwide. Almost nobody looks down on them.

Now we get to the gnarly stuff.
The "endless buckets of miscellaneous, random parts"
Yes, they existed
Yes JJ&CO did "fling together with no fitting" many many of them.
I'd avoid them, except as parts donors too.

But there's a lot of perfectly good blond Lithgow SMLE's out there mixed in with the trash.
You have to do a bit of detective work to sort the wheat from the chaff IMO.
Don't blindly accept the statement about recoil blocks being present or not as a blanket truth. That is simply not accurate.
Some factory rifles were not fitted with them at Lithgow.
Some were retrofitted in the field.
There are those knowledgeable experts that will argue that with full & correct fitting ("stocking up" of the metal to wood they are unnecessary), but with shoddy stocking up they are vital.

My rifle is suspect as a "bitster" to a Purist Collector, but that's not necessarily a flung together bucket of parts gun from the collectors viewpoint. Mine has been refinished & restocked. No argument, I knew that & accepted it as a shooter. Many SMLEs from all over the world have been FTR'd or restocked for some reason, but the Lithy blond with nice wood are a special case because they're a bit of a crap shoot.
Take out your magazine & pull the bolt.
Now look up inside & to the rear with a flashlight & ideally a dental mirror. You can just see the blocks if they are fitted, but you need to be a bit of a contortionist.
My 41 blond has them, yours might too.
This is NOT the whole story though. It is a big clue.

Door Wood Air gun Yellow Trigger

Wood Door Natural material Yellow Wood stain

Things like serial number format are another as are correct numbers & prefixes for the date of manufacture.
If it is "####A" or "####G" its more suspect than if its (like mine B #####) correct for 1941.
Fitting of parts, trigger pressures & "Feel" are good clues too.
Is there a second number UNDER the bolt handle, does it match its twin on the upper right rear of the receiver?
Do the serial numbers on the breech & rear of the bolt match?
These are all good things.
Get yer magnifying glass out Sherlock & have at it.
That area under the rear sight on mine is stamped 4 rows of letters/numbers
"L"
"HV"
"SC" (edited, thanks)
"MA41"
on the base of the actual sight, right by the hinge in tiny letters the (matching) serial number for the rifle
:love:

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Double check those blocks for correct angle and equal engagement.

You bought it second hand. There was the time when nearly every owner was installing their own. Some knew how. Some only thought/believed they knew how.
Don’t be surprised if they remind you of an electrical contact.
Perhaps bits of aluminum flat stock.
No problem I will.
Like I said "cautiously optimistic".
I just keep finding things that scream well made & fitted. Not what I'd expect from a "bucket special" This thing is as well fitted as my '55Faz mummy was.
Stock to butt socket tight & even, I can't even get a 3 thou feeler in there, I won't try a 1 or 2 I'm afraid I'll bugger them up.
Same with the hand guards & butt.
Bolt has the same "sticky" feeling as the '55Faz did too, till it broke in after a few hundred rounds.
Overclocking of the bolt head is (my best guess 2~3°) F/Pin protrusion is dead on, lug engagement is equal on both lugs at my estimated 35%.
Headspaces on a 0.067" Okie NO GO with about 1/4" bolt movement left at the knob
Trigger has a good clean 2 stage pull with consistent 3 1/2 Lbs at first stage, minimal creep & 5 1/2Lbs at second stage.
Under all the grime & grease the bore is bright sharp & fully rifled.
The main screw has been indexed with a witness line & is staked!
Once my RLO arrives (none locally) I'll pull from the stock give it a good drink & check into hidden things.
I don't know who did it, but they seem to have done a bang up job. Every bit as good as say the Lithgow factory!

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Plonker where did these numbers come from? Is this the number of rifles jovino purchased?
Supposedly.
These are things I'm finding while actually researching what I may, or may not have.
It comes from several sources, including some ex Lithgow workers memories. & several other sources.
Please understand I'm not looking to start a confrontation, just clear up the multiple different versions of what actually happened.
Its a mess.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Why are there any mint 1941 Lithgows?.......When conscripts were training with limbs cut from trees in March 1942. ........and had never fired a 303 ,nor had a rifle issued to them until they landed in Port Moresby?......I suspect the new guns were in a reserve to guard a political elite in Melbourne as they loaded all their valuables on ship to flee to the USA.
I never said nor even suggested there were .
I have admitted form the beginning that mine was refinished & restocked.in '44 or 45, Just as the seler descried it originally
I simply repeated what I was told by people who were there back when

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Plonker, you sold that one in the WTS forum right? I think I messaged you about it after buying this one. I bought mine for what you sold yours for. They command a pretty good price parts gun or not.
Not me, I've never sold an SMLE on here? I just checked messages too & I don't see anything from you. I think you may be confusing me with "The Danish Man" maybe?

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
I found this! But cannot make out what is stamped.

View attachment 3975324
"HV" (high Velocity, sighted for the "New:" Mk7 round)
"SC" (Short or Small Cone throat difference for the MkVII round).
^^^EDITED^^^
I have similar markings, but that seems to have a "JJ&CO" over-stamped on them sideways which mine dont.
I have 4 rows of charecters:
L
HV
SC
MA 41
further forward on the sight base right next to the pivot is a really tiny repitition of the (matching) serial number of the action bolt & barrel
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper

Can you please do me a favor?
a pic of the bottom metal showing the area by the main screw.
Mine is witness marked & staked, this indicates a lot more care than a "reassembled bucket gun" & I'm curious if its "normal" or unique.
Thanks.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
JJCO was most often stamped in very small letters on the flat of the charger bridge where the bridge is attached to the right side of the receiver.
Mine has something stamped there, but its impossible to actually read what it says even with a 10X apochromatic jewelers loupe (very sharp & high end) & even glancing lighting & digital manipulation don't help much! I'm gong to take pics this afternoon, maybe that will reveal something.
I honestly won't be too concerned if it says JJ&CO, because that just the IMPORTER. it doesn't say anything about the condition of the rifle & I kind of assume its one anyway.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
OMG this is getting silly. Another point any of you ever fought with the Digger's ? I have and they are a right bunch and some of the greatest thieves in any military organization.

They came with two 3/4 ton 4X4's and almost left with three and two of my M60's.
You say that like its a bad thing?
I had & still have several Aussie mates & even shared a house with one of them for a while.
I do have a question regarding your minty Lithy.
Like mine & 1918 Militaria's it doesn't have the "Billboard" stamps common on many Aussie issued guns. (NOT the Slaz & so on makers marks or the brass discs, the unit & MD & so on ones.) do you have any idea where & when these would be applied?
Anyone else feel free to chip in with any info you have.
Like these:
Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Font Tints and shades

Reactions: MJ

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
The buttstock shown immediately above shows signs of being reworked/repaired. The faint original factory stamps along with the Lithgow R 8/1947 stamps

This thread is getting a little confusing to follow.
Rule of thumb for a JJCO shop built parts rifle has usually been determined by the serial number.
G or higher prefix
Any letter suffix.
So far none has been mentioned.
I did, kinda sorta. in a couple of places too.
Suffix & 4 digit # is bad
G or other non-issued prefix is also, supposedly.
Both rifles here are B +5 digit.
It was shot down in flames as unverifiable & unreliable.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
I'd need a photo of what you need a photo of? Ir do you just want me to take the top guard off and take a photo like I see above?
flip the rifle upside down.
take a pic looking directly at trhe bottom of the magazine, & wide enough to show the big screw in front.
Material property Wood Composite material Rectangle Tints and shades

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Perfect, thanks.
Yours has the strake (punch) mark to "lock the screw"
But not the witness mark (line) to show where to lock it for consistent torque.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Does the punch mark at 11.30 o'clock show where it should be?
No that was the line, it was a commonly used technique for individual fitting.
Now if anything changed, bolt wood, base metal, it would be invalid.
BUT if you were, for example , taking one down for "annual maintenance" or similar where all the same parts were reused then al you did was line them up.
The staking was usually at the end of the slot though because that's where more metal would be displaced into the slot, making the locking feature more effective.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
I'm absolutely happy with the rifle which I bought as refinished.
I was simply tying to sort the wheat from the chaff in all the contradictory information I found (some of it in this thread).
We seem to disagree on the definition of "bucket of parts flung together bitster" which may be causing confusion.
Its a matching action, bolt &barrel that's been restocked & then not RE issued.
I never said anything else.
It seems to have been well built too there's too much accurate fitting for "flung together".
Do I know WHO did it?
No, again I never said I did.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
From the numbers that match and th info posted here I figure I got a rifle that was sold to JJCO as a barrled action with the matching bolt and they put it all together. I think I have a good shooter, I think I got really lucky in that reguard. Would you agree?
As I obviously know Precisely Jack, this is probably not worth the trouble to type.
But I'd say yes.
That's what I'm going to do with mine & happily.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Yes.
there's a piece of the stock missing, between the main bolt & the magazine well cutout (see red >> <<)
Brown Wood Wood stain Tints and shades Shotgun

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Whatever, he asked I replied.
You can actually see where it split away, but WTF do I know.
Dear O.P.
Go ahead fire it.
Just ignore all the evidence & have at it.
Do NOT blame me later though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts