Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
First...I think MJ's rifle is a bitzer and he'll climb the walls I said that but it looks to be the case. Secondly MJ must have re done his deck as his back ground wood is new condition, one has to be here a long time to note this obtuse detail but like the deck, if MJ owns the rifle its got to be the best ever and if doubted he'll drag four more out to show you that he has more better toys than you. Its a bitzer MJ...congrats are in order. LOL but MJ will be not be amused. He really has some fabulous rifles
no doubt about it.

On the subject of Lithgow JJCO Drop Dead Gorgeous New Condition Lithgows, this thread does an admirable job of chasing details to ground for the original poster. I'm kinda lost what's going on with Plonker's rifle but if I read the clues, he thinks he bought a bitzer and is okay with it. If that is correct, Plonker kindly confirm .

The subject of proper barreled actions being re stocked into brand new wood by JJCO bears a bit more information based on the rifle that I bought in 2010 for 350 dollars and I knew it was an "assembled rifle' at the time. This rifle is truly metal condition brought up to new condition, has MA53 under the safety lever, batch # match, serial # to receiver # match, # under rear sight leaf match , barrel has a 53 date mark and is mint brand new, all this stuffed on brand new NON SLAZ marked wood with no other markings...No MA, no dates, No HV marks ...just naked new wood. JJCO on charger bridge , no # on nose guard bayonet stud and open ear front sight ears and (Drum Roll) no recoil pads installed in the fore arm. Metal...righteous MA53 rebuild by Lithgow barreled receiver factory thorough repair to new condition and JJCO re stocked it and slapped on NOS parts, and its the bastard bitzer...won't qualify as a full out JJCO bitzer and won't qualify as a true MA53 rebuild Lithgow rifle. It is and It ain't ...and the only reason I got it was two fold...it was almost right and if I held my nose, it could be a real MA 53 rifle which JJCO merely stamped and sold. Maybe ..well it would be if MJ owned it but a wretched peasant such as my self, its got to be a great almost correct bitzer . As soon as I refinish my deck, I 'll post a MJ lookalike photo of this near MJ tier rifle. Joking aside, if you got a rifle that looks as good as one of MJ's , its quite a score and he's been tenacious to find such jewels.

My rifle...the barreled action is a MA53 and totally correct for what that means, the rest of the rifle is parts and who put them onto the rifle could be Lithgow or could be JJCO and the clue I use to negate it being Lithgow is no recoil pads in fore end up in the draws. I just don't think Lithgow would restock a FTR rifle like that in 1953 (or ever in the 50's as I understand they did FTR's up to 57?).

My rifle is a wall hanger. Not firing it w/o recoil pads and while I bought such pads w/ screws off a member here long ago (Vulch in Oz), I'm not going to try to install them as I chance more harm than good. I paid 350 which I thought was 100 over market price but it was at least the best JJCO bitzer I had seen since late 90's and said to myself...DONE, just be done chasing the perfect Lithgow, pay the price and wall hang it and drool looking at it. Its up on the war room wall looking good----- looking Hollywood and I like it. Its the perfect Lithgow only don't look too closely !! 馃檲

Registered
I'm a disbeliever in the word " unissued" in anything ww2 English. Especially anything before 1945. With the US donating civilian firearms and the lost of weapons after Dunkirk..... JMHO I would not buy on the sole idea of unissued
Well, since we are talking about an Australian Lithgow No.1 MkIII* so really no...the above opinion on US donation of weapons & lost weapons before & after Dunkirk is doubtful but I quite agree on finding an unissued No1MkIII* is problematic. I have two that would qualify but they are FTR to new rifles not original pre or wartime rifles. If there were / are unissued Lithgows, those nefarious Aussie's key holed them and sabotaged any shipment scheduled for export to USA..

Registered
We simply can' have you being Happy . That won't do Plonker. Sell the rifle to me and gain salvation. LOL. It sounds like your rifle is same thing mine is but I think you have recoil pads and mine doesn't. Thus you can shoot it and I can't shoot mine. I knew that lack of recoil pad scenario when I bought mine so I've turned the page and don't dwell on it. I bought a fantasy rifle.

Registered
Plenty of Lithgow rifles get used without plates, the factory sent out about 150000 of them.
Anthony, I distinctly remember years ago on this very board caution to not shoot if the recoil pads were missing and talk of fore end splitting. In fact talk of safety issues to the shooter. Now if this is internet myth and no damage to my rifle nor me is pending , I'll shoot my rifle. My reluctance here is based on "fact" presented on this board concerning lack of pads and damage that follows.

Anyone know the bottom line here ???

Registered
Really a good thread here on a lot of information on bitzers, semi bitzers and variants. I'll take back my comment I cannot shoot my Lithgow w/o recoil pads and better state the condition as I choose not to shoot the rifle as the potential for degrading the draws is a risk and I'm okay wall hanging the rifle. I got other Lithgows to shoot . I have also two mint condition unfired since FTR British No1MkIII* post war refurbs so if I want to molest a virgin FTR, I have two on hand to do so. The bitzer JJCO rifle can stay unshot, not the end of the world . The new recoil pads w/screws Vulch sent me are in the butt trap. I'll stick a note in there and notify next owner he can do as he pleases .

Choice is a wonderful thing. Thanks Anthony for your patience

1 - 6 of 6 Posts