Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favourite year for Lithgow SMLE's - because they still had the cut-off plate, Queensland maple stock, nice blueing, and superbly finished.

So, here is mine :D. 100% original, 100% matching. Queensland maple throughout. MA cutoff plate. Deep blue. This one has a near PERFECT bore - and it's the ORIGINAL 1940 barrel.

Bayonet is 1941. Maple grips on it.

It's a little dirty and grungy, but that's how I like it! Good, honest veteran that no one cleaned up (and it will remain that way)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes she is beautiful. I prefer my '41 because it doesn't have the cutoff. Although I'm starting to think that the barrel on mine is quite well used. Those are mighty big leaves in that photo. Makes your Lithgow look quite small! :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Lovely rifles there gents.

I have a 1940 with Queensland maple buttstock and handguards but an unnumbered coachwood foreend. I have a 1917-dated Queensand maple foreend, and I'm wondering whether it'd be smart to swap one incorrect foreend for another which matches in colour and grain.

I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me if the early WW2 QM foreends are effectively the same as the WW1 QM foreends (with the exception of serial details, of course).

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
130 Posts
1940 Lithgow

Here's mine.
Has been worked on twice apparently; 1944 and 1945.
Still got all original parts and barrel.
Also has green paint under the wood.

The hard part is finding a 1940 Lithgow bayonet!

·
Registered
445 Posts
My favourite year for Lithgow SMLE's - because they still had the cut-off plate, Queensland maple stock, nice blueing, and superbly finished.

So, here is mine :D. 100% original, 100% matching. Queensland maple throughout. MA cutoff plate. Deep blue. This one has a near PERFECT bore - and it's the ORIGINAL 1940 barrel.

Bayonet is 1941. Maple grips on it.

It's a little dirty and grungy, but that's how I like it! Good, honest veteran that no one cleaned up (and it will remain that way)
Hi Vulch,

I would be interested to find out if your cocking piece is 'MA' marked, or is Lithgow star. The one on my 1940 is milled and 'MA' marked. I know Skennerton says that knurled rim cocking pieces were supposed to be utilised up until 1941, but I have never seen one on a 1940, or '41, apart from yours. Regards, Markymark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.