Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this one off auction - The stock is a bit dinged from use, but has some nice figure in the wood =+) The action sports a 75% finish or so - The bore was described a dark with some shine......Well, with a good cleaning the bore is very shiny with strong sharp rifling! I am slowly buying Tikka M91's & this one fit's into the ole collection quite nicely. The only downfall is the rifle has no hand guard.....Kinda looks nekkid without one.....=+(
Anybody out there have a nice striped M91 handguard they want to part with?....=+)
Enjoy the pic's! Any comments on this one would be helpful - I am a bit unfamiliar with the stamp on the stock....

Pahtu.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The stock mark AV3 is a Finnish weapons depot. I really like that stock.
Tikka's are great collectibles - I have two 1940 M91 Tikkas. Both are great shooters.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ksstargazer for the info & kind comments - Denny thanks - Too bad about the handguard =+) Half the odd MN's I have bought were hit's from "shots" in the dark =+)

I'll post a range report when I can =+)

Pahtu.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,500 Posts
I like the last four pics myself :)

Oh! Is that a rifle? Oh boy. Missed that...:D

Gary

·
Diamond Member
709 Posts
I've got a 40 Tikka M-91 that is a tack driver. Great find, I just love those 91's

BTW thats a great looking alfalfa field. We need some of that hay in the southeast. It's been really dry.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unbekannt, thanks for the kind comments - The pic's are from my back yard - Yes, find that M91, they are beginning to be my favorite type of MN =+)

rocker98, yep the last four pic's are nifty - The property has been in my family for six generations, the pic of a tree with the sun behind it, is a Black Walnut tree & my Great Great grandfather is said to have planted it....

DudleyDR, yeah you can shoot around here, but the neighbors would get annoyed...and they might shoot back...LOL.....I live in a rural area & hear coyotes darn near every night, but there are plenty of neighbors about.....tho I do touch off a round or two in my back yard in a small berm I built...LOL..- BTW really nice P marked Tikka M91!!

guitarzan - Thanks, I have a couple Tikka M91's & I really like em! - BTW - Hay is spendy around here & we will have to buy more to feed the cows =+(....I hear Northern Georgia is dry also....=+(

Pahtu.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Nice rifle....Buy I love the dog!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a 1942 dated Tikka, it too is missing a hand guard. It has a siingle peice english contract stock on it. It has been shimed under the reciever and the barrel is floated and I wonder if this is why it is missing the hand guard? Was wondering if yours was shimmed also maby that would explain the missing hand guard if this was found to be common on these year dates. It shoots realy well. I like the scenery around your property looks like you should be able to set up some 500 yard targets. Nice tikka also

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Nice rifle....Buy I love the dog!!!" - "What is that? Some sort of wild beast? No wonder you have that odd stick as it is needed to beat back such animals"

Thanks - I think the dog is an Australian Shepard - but dunno for sure - A cowboy who helped work our cows last year, got mad at him & the dog refused to jump into his truck, so he left him at our corral - sooo, the dog jumped into the back of my pickup & he has been on our small ranch since then - The breed of the dog? I am unsure - I am pretty sure he has been shot at tho - very gunshy - you can see him sucking up to me by looking cute when I took a pic of him - previously he was hiding under the rig when I was taking pic's of the rifle!

BoreGrv - "Was wondering if yours was shimmed"

I don't know, but I'll look & see.

"looks like you should be able to set up some 500 yard targets."
The property at this location is only 80 acres, but the included pic's show where I usually go plinking - It belongs to the Yakama Nation, they tolerate my shooting, as many of the Tribal Police are folks I know & besides my mom is a tribal member....=+)

I touched off a round with my 28-30 before the pic was taken & the wild horses took off out of a ravine.....They were cleverly hidden, but spooked...(old pic's - but still nifty...)

Pahtu.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"That is a very nice AV3 walnut stock! Not every day you come across one of those."

Is that one of those "Nutwood" stocks I have read about here? Or is it just a walnut stock?

Thanks, Pahtu.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice Tikka! I got a 1941Tikka M91 I bought a few years ago at a local gunshop. It has neet wood grain. A good tack driver. I like shooting it better than my Russian 91/30. Wood is different than yours. It has its handgard.
Michael Hale

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"I like shooting it better than my Russian 91/30."

I have not yet shot this one - I hope it shoots well, my other M91's range from good to kinda dismal in the accuracy dept, but I seem to like the M91's more that the other's...=+)

Pahtu.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here is my rifle. I need a new camera and its raining outside. A good thing since we are having a drout here in kentucky. I'll have to study more on the Tikka 91. I wonder if the stock is a replacement. Its in real nice shape. Also I plan to reload. I found out the Finns have a smaller bore Dia. than the Russians. .308 versis .311. I have been shooting surplus and Wolf ammo through mine. So far so good but will the bigger dia hurt the rfle or cause high pressures?

Michael Hale

1 - 20 of 23 Posts