Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1940 Mk III Lithgow in pretty good order. Stocked in Queensland Maple. It's had the original nose cap modified by having the holes cut in the ears as the later production nose caps were made with them from new.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Harry, a most excellent example! Must have been the last hurrah for Queensland Maple, as I think coachwood was in by Feb 1942. Is yours around the B35-37,000 range? cheers,

Damien

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Yeah, wow!

Harry, do you have all the WW2 Lithgows?
(Are they all this nice!?!)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harry, a most excellent example! Must have been the last hurrah for Queensland Maple, as I think coachwood was in by Feb 1942. Is yours around the B35-37,000 range? cheers,

Damien
Yes Damien, right in the middle of that range.

P1070733.JPG P1070725.JPG

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, wow!

Harry, do you have all the WW2 Lithgows?
(Are they all this nice!?!)
Yes DD, I've got the WW1 years as well as WW2 Lithgows and a few in between. They're all nice :) but only some are as nice as this.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Yes DD, I've got the WW1 years as well as WW2 Lithgows and a few in between. They're all nice :) but only some are as nice as this.
A modest man, with much to be modest about.

Of that, I am certain!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are there markings on the butt stock? TIA

It has butt markings but they are only lightly stamped and it's a 1939 dated butt which is a rare item in itself. But I believe it is a replacement because I think they were stamped and dated when the rifle was a finished article which would have been in late 1940. Along with the modified nose cap I believe they were both done while still in service. Maybe a butt from a cannibalized 1939 Lithgow. Who else would have a spare 1939 maple butt.
It still has storage grease in places and the bore is like the bolt face, "as new".

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You always have the best stuff Harry, thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, but it's only because they have been passed on by previous collectors who thought enough to preserve them. I am just the present custodian.
Cheers

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,541 Posts
Nice Harry! Certainly among the last few thousand rifles to be stocked in maple.

1940......interesting time for the factory and this country.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nice Harry! Certainly among the last few thousand rifles to be stocked in maple.

1940......interesting time for the factory and this country.
I've got B37097 stocked in Coachwood. Would be in amongst the first run of Coachwood I imagine.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Thanks mate, but it's only because they have been passed on by previous collectors who thought enough to preserve them. I am just the present custodian.

Cheers
Cool looking rifle for sure HarryB!
Closet I have is a 1940 B 45*** 52 FTR’d all matching CWood setup.
Just kinda curious about the C/O plate;
Did it come installed & what make stamp mark etc.Thanks.
Cheer’s today.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool looking rifle for sure HarryB!
Closet I have is a 1940 B 45*** FTR’d all matching CWood setup.
Just kinda curious about the C/O plate;
Did it come installed & what make stamp mark etc.Thanks.
Cheer’s today.
Yes it came with the cut off and it is MA marked.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Cheers
If that ain't the truth....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts