Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I picked up a really nice 42 K98. Bad part was it had a terribly "bubba-ized" home made sporter stock on it. After some looking I found an acceptable channel dated Mauser stock. Its an RC, but they left the waffenampts alone. After installing the new stock, I took it to the range to see how it performed. Towards the end of the shoot. I had probably the worse case rupture Ive experienced. Blew my hat off and thought it took the top of my head with it. Yes, I was wearing shooting glasses. Ive gone through thousands of rounds of this type of Yugo ammo with the main complaint of its occasional stubborness to ignite. The action did it's duty and handled it well.

MVC-031S.JPG MVC-032S.JPG MVC-033S.JPG MVC-034S.JPG MVC-035S.JPG MVC-036S.JPG

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Glad you're ok.
I routinely avoid the 1950s Yugoslav, it seems like it's hit or miss (excuse the pun).
Pat

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
When they split clear down to the base, that's bad. I have had that happen, but only once or twice. Wear the glasses. I still shoot 50's Yugo ammo, though. I had one lot of some old 7mm Mauser ammo that split nearly every case. After a few rounds, I tossed it out. I tried pulling the bullets, but they were so corroded on the bottom that they would hardly come out of the case.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Seems like I remember a post on the G43 boards about a rifle being damaged quite badly due to surplus yugo ammo.
Nice stock for an RC!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,567 Posts
Had the same experience with '55 vintage Yugo ammo;I had fired several hundred rounds when this happened. The gas vented back into my face, but as I was wearing my shooting glasses I was ok.
I will pull the rest of the ammo and reload into PPU brass.
ukrifleman.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ouch, glad you're okay and that you were wearing your glasses.

I currently shoot this ammo since it's the cheapest available that will actually go bang every time (compared to Iranian).

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice stock for an RC!
Yes, I was really pleased when it arrived. Cant tell from the pic, but it has some nice tiger stripe to the forend and a nice burl buttstock. The Wafenampts are really quite clear and as a bonus there is an L below the first waffenampt.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,196 Posts
Glad to hear you, and your rifle, are OK.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
never had this happen to me with yugo ammo, but i have 40, 41, and 42 dated turk and they all do it in any rifle i put it in. also the Bulgarian surplus silver tip 7.62, have like 45,000 rounds of it and i get full length splits maybe 5 out of every 20 rounds in most of my mosins.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Good thing that was in a k98, that would have probably blown up a G43. That is what makes me pay the price for newer 8x57. I don't shoot a lot anyway, it's not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had that happen with some older Turk ammo. Decided to delagate the remainder of the 1440 round case to "component" status.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For me it was the '55 Yugo ammo.

Never again....on the other hand the 1970's Yugo 8mm ammo is some of the best (of many) types of surplus 8mm ammo I ever tried.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same type of case split with 1950's Yugo. First in my BCD 43 98k. Not a big issue, was wearing glasses. Assumed it was a one off. Next weekend the same thing happened in my G43, knocked the bolt carrier off its track, but didn't destroy the rifle. Much stronger blast of gas back in this one. I then examined the remaining rounds I had and in a couple I found a faint crack in the head. Sent the ammo back and won't use 50's Yugo again. This problem seems to occur widely in the 54 and 55 batches. The 75 dated yugo I have is excellent. Keep safe.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Thanks for posting TMann. This is a reported occurrence. I've shot a good bit of the 50s Yugo and had cracks in the cases, nothing catastrophic or hat blowing. The K98k action in good shape can handle this and did what it was supposed to do. However, without safety glasses you can lose your vision over a 10 cent cartridge. I've also had shaved jackets come back and hit me in the forehead and cut me, and nope, wasn't shooting steel targets.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,531 Posts
Boy that looks bad, glad you're OK.might be way to much powder or exposed primer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts