Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I'd say the front screw was probably renumbered with the same die. Absent a depot inspection, it is hard to say if it is an armory replacement. I'm not getting a good feeling looking at it, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the depot inspection stamp in the wood near the pistol grip? I'll look and take some photos of that area if I see the outline of a mark.

I do appreciate any comments either pro or con about this rifle.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Sometimes they are added at the wrist, sometimes on the side, sometimes both. They would be in addition to the factory inspecions (Waa37), and they take the form of the first and last letters of the depot and a number: Psn2, Su1, Mz8, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another "t" block, very cool. I note that yours is not cut for a sight hood, same as my three "t" blocks. Hard to tell on the magazine and floor plate. A field replacement would not have depot marks, but the parts would have single inspection stamps if drawn from early kits, maybe no inspection stamp if from later kits. I say this because I have late war armorers parts from Steyr that are not marked, so it's possible. Is the follower a replacement also?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took some more photos of the stock and floor plate areas. There are numerous markings on the bottom of the stock, many of which are hard to make out what they are. The magazine follower is unmarked. The metal shows no wear along with basically perfect rebluing, yet the underside of the rear sight ramp is still in the white. What I've always liked about this rifle is the plum colored extractor which contrasts nicely with the blued metal.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,060 Posts
I can only tell you what I see..

Stock: Heavily sanded and refinished, no apparent depot marks..

Trigger guard/floorplate: Replacement parts with no WaA on the TG. TG looks like a scrub and renumber.

Metal : entire gun has been re-blued

White out : Collector enhanced at some point, this gun did not come straight out of the closet..

Is it original? Not sure that it matters at this point, no way to prove it and it will be valued as a restored 98 either way..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.