Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't often post in this thread. But this weekend I was able to acquire one of my long look fors... Found at auction. Once I saw a M38 with an SA, I put it back on the rack and tried my best at a poker face. Had to request call in bid.. did not even look at the year or matching till I picked it up. First year, all matching . Bore is Finn-kept, clean clear and used, not abused. All Izhevsk parts and appear to be original and evenly worn as seen. Somewhere along the line, the bolt handle had some leverage on it. I'm absolutely glad, all thought it was a standard M38.. to me it's much more

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
10,343 Posts
Excellent! Congrats! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Oh that’s nice! The stock has that really been there look. Great find for all Mosin collectors.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,343 Posts
Is the bolt factory matching? Too bad someone messed it up by bending it so bad.

Congrats on filling a hole in your collection.
I didn’t notice that the first time I looked at the photos. That’s a shame. :cry:

Perhaps the bolt handle can be straightened.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That's a nice rifle!

You can get that bolt handle straightened for sure. I bought a fairly rare Type 99 Arisaka variant last summer with a matching, but bent bolt handle, and a member of the Japanese forum was able to bring it back with almost no signs it was ever like that. Here are the before and after photos.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks pretty amazing. Part of the reason for my post was to gather a thoughts on straightening or not. Typically I like to leave things as they are but not sure on this one. I would need somebody with experience

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,097 Posts
It has to be cherry red before it can be bent. Do not attempt bending it cold in a press, or it will just snap.

That is a valuable piece. There are not too many early stocks out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks great, lucky it wasn't ruined further beyond the bent bolt. I bet you can have it straightened back to original condition without too much risk of damage

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,823 Posts
Well done Bill. Good for you. I would leave the bolt. You just don't know where it was bent, why it was bent or who bent it. Part of the heritage of that fine old specimen. I bet there is something really interesting behind how it came to be.
Now, on the other hand I can fix you up with a much more attractive M38 stock should you so desire. Then I will take that clunky old one off your hands so you don't have to look at it. :thumbsup:

·
Gold Bullet member
11,278 Posts
Almost certainly the bolt was bent in Finland. I'd leave it. Great find!

·
Gold Bullet member
10,343 Posts
Almost certainly the bolt was bent in Finland. I'd leave it. Great find!
Why would the Finns bend the bolt? :confused:

I have seen and handled a lot of standard Finnish rifles and I cannot recall ever seeing any evidence that the Finn military modified the bolts.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I highly doubt that. Almost certainly bubba bent that bolt. And whether it was bubba or some military, the value has been greatly hurt because nothing can be proven, accept that it is not factory.
I agree. I don't understand how it can be said it was certainly done by Finland. I've never came across any Finns with swept back bolts like that. Even if it's some one off thing, which I suppose could be possible, it doesn't add to the value at all, especially on an otherwise nearly original early M38. If it was me I'd already have that shipped off to someone to fix.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,435 Posts
Congrats on a wonderful looking rifle tiekka. I am not sure how much anybodies opinion is worth listening to so listen to yourself. That aside me personally I would leave it. It is what it is and that is a wonderful rifle. The "Purists" always talk about touching nothing and leaving it as found. Other than cleaning it up with damp rag of Ballistol I think I would leave it. I am involved in RR restoration and it is an ongoing battle about when history starts and when history stopped? The bent bolt is part of the rifles history, regardless if Bubba or 1st Sgt Ivan did it. I have changed things over the years on a few things so it is not like I feel this is a concrete never to be allowed opinion. Just the one I have right now on something that doesn't belong to me. Congrats and best regards, John.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,343 Posts
Congrats on a wonderful looking rifle tiekka. I am not sure how much anybodies opinion is worth listening to so listen to yourself. That aside me personally I would leave it. It is what it is and that is a wonderful rifle. The "Purists" always talk about touching nothing and leaving it as found. Other than cleaning it up with damp rag of Ballistol I think I would leave it. I am involved in RR restoration and it is an ongoing battle about when history starts and when history stopped? The bent bolt is part of the rifles history, regardless if Bubba or 1st Sgt Ivan did it. I have changed things over the years on a few things so it is not like I feel this is a concrete never to be allowed opinion. Just the one I have right now on something that doesn't belong to me. Congrats and best regards, John.
Sometimes you can say something true and still be wrong. In my opinion that observation applies to your comments above.

To be continued if I can beg, borrow, or steal five uninterrupted minutes of peace and quiet to compose my thoughts. :mad

Pedantic, fluid, filter, relevancy...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts