Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
There are various schools of thought on just what to do with a duffle cut. My own opinion is that it's part of the rifles history. Ive got two and prefer to leave them as they are. But, again this is my own personal preference.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'd leave it as is, unless you are really comfortable with wood repairs. As it sits, it's a nearly complete and nearly matching pre/early war gun. Leaving it as won't hurt anything. Botching a repair together will hurt the value. If you want to shoot it, just remove the cutoff piece and bands. It won't hurt shooting it in just the cutdown stock. Make sure that you don't lose the pieces, of course.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I did one. it isnt hard. with this method you can still use the rod, and its pretty solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You should never use metal "pegs" to splice the stock. Metal and wood expand and contract at different rates and they will eventually break loose. Hard wood dowels or bamboo chop sticks are best. Be sure and add the amount of wood that is the width of a saw blade.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the darn wood is so swollen I cant slide the front barrel band where the sling goes off the wood lol, and the front metal cover appears to be stuck on there also any suggestions on the least intrusive way to get them functioning right

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If it doesn't want to move, don't force it. If it is stuck, as you have described, it will be quite tough to unstick. It is very likely that you will mar the wood or beat up the metal. Just leave it be.

It seems like you're just after a shooter. If so, you might be better off just selling this rifle here, or on gunbroker, and buying an RC as a shooter and then spend the rest of your money on a pile of ammo.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
O no I wanted a nice one for show just wanted to try and get it as right as possible, ill be getting a russian capture or something also to just shoot whenever but wanted to make this one as right as I could already bought a matching color wood top hand guard and the spring pin going to get a original rod and sling next guess I may just put put it all together I leave it be

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
why on earth would I want to replace it in order to display it this is the war torn matching stock that makes it more special lol that's the one to display it with maybe shoot it with another that's not duffle cut lol stocks actually pretty decent on this one anyway love the dark red wood lol cant look to good u know lol HATE it when people think they are doing something by sanding the stock and re-bluing what r they thinking lol yay you've destroyed the history and most all interest in it lol, its just plain idiotic to me frankly I mean there r certain situations where it doesn't matter I understand that, but it shouldn't ever be done on even a decent mismatched piece, why I didn't run off and do anything to this one right off cause it is better than a lot and why im now going to leave it as is other than adding a original cleaning rod and hand guard. Thanks for the offer on the stock though hell I wouldn't mind just having it for whatever but im sure it would proly cost more than im able to dedicate to it right now

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.