Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this one up yesterday. The numbered parts look to be original matching, metal finish is definitely original and stock looks maybe like the Finns worked on it a bit. The stock is a first pattern and it has a faint Soviet roundel. The gun is of course “SA” and “D” marked and there is an indentation below the rear sling slot where I believe a Finnish wire hanger was installed. Overall I’m pleased with this one and would like to find a nice non Finned original M38 down the line.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,310 Posts
Super example!!!!!!!! The guys who know will be along regarding originality but I think you are pretty much correct. That top handguard is a big plus in the potentially original category.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fonts all seem to match to me, great example of a Finnish capture M38 that I would have been delighted to find!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
CJ556: Excellent rifle! Have you tried to see if the acceptance stamp on the right butt is consistent with 1939? There's a great thread with that info that I use to keep bookmarked before the forum changes.... Personally I don't feel the simple addition of the Finn ownership stamp detracts in any way. I doubt that you could find a better one.

Ruprecht

·
Administrator
3,426 Posts
Just......WOW

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CJ556: Excellent rifle! Have you tried to see if the acceptance stamp on the right butt is consistent with 1939? There's a great thread with that info that I use to keep bookmarked before the forum changes.... Personally I don't feel the simple addition of the Finn ownership stamp detracts in any way. I doubt that you could find a better one.

Ruprecht
Thank you for your kind words. Do you happen to have a link to that thread?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow! 2nd 1st pattern stock m38 I’m aware of completely matching and original

mine is all matching.. minus floor plate :(

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Do you happen to have a link to that thread?

Its an old thread, but still useful. Your stock has MA acceptance and you barrel is AM. I think the stock is probably changed out, but its hard to be sure. Mismatches like this are common in 1939-1940, but most of we see are Finnish so hard to know what they did to them. In theory, the acceptance should match on both, but 1939-1940 saw a lot of GAU representative change over for one reason or another. In any case, its tough to find a 1939 in any condition, so you have to take them as you find them. I still don't have one.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,761 Posts

Ruprecht
The stock was unique to the first year M39. It fits not other gun, so the roundel is guaranteed to be correct.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matt and Ryan I appreciate both of you guys input. I’m not gonna lose sleep on this one either way, as you both stated original first type stocks don’t fall off trees.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I picked this one up yesterday. The numbered parts look to be original matching, metal finish is definitely original and stock looks maybe like the Finns worked on it a bit. The stock is a first pattern and it has a faint Soviet roundel. The gun is of course “SA” and “D” marked and there is an indentation below the rear sling slot where I believe a Finnish wire hanger was installed. Overall I’m pleased with this one and would like to find a nice non Finned original M38 down the line.
Looks like a nice find

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
16,825 Posts
OUI! :oops:

Rear sling slot had a hanger? Those cut outs suggest such?

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,762 Posts
Regarding the transposition of letters between the stock and barrel acceptance stamps, it's something I've seen before. I have a bolt mismatch but apparently otherwise factory matching 1936 Izhevsk 91/30 Finn cap that has the normal "ГВ" on the stock, but "ВГ" on the barrel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts