Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this rifle today at a pawn shop. It was wearing a K98 duffle cut stock and the original bands were just slipped onto the german wood. I then went to another shop a couple miles away and found this WZ29 stock on a BNZ 4 K98 !! I swapped stocks but am still missing the rest of the duffle cut fore end :( At least there are NO import marks at all !!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Very nice score! Perhaps somebody just swapped both rifles parts by mistake then put them in different stores to sell them (could be possible I suppose). Interestingly enough, I have a 1938 dated wz.29 thats serial number is only 2050 numbers away from yours.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
That is weird to find those two guns in that condition. The only time I had something similar I had received from out of state a Davage Enfield with a Fazakerley bolt. Went to a local gunstore a few weeks later and found a Fazakerley rifle with a Savage bolt. With hindsight I should have bought it even though the price was high. The numbers would still have been wrong but at least the factories would have been correct.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have always liked the lines of a wz. 29. Great find, and I assume you can find some donor stock for a forend.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,065 Posts
Nice find! A donor fore end from one of the common SCW Polish rifles would do the trick. It's possible that a piece of Vz.24 would serve as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Trying to further reduce my ignorance...I recognize the Polish chicken on the underside of the wrist, but what is the D in a pent marking? On a related note, I sold a friend a 1934 (mix mastered except stock and reciever) Radom WZ29 that has three "1 1/4 inch high V's across the left side of the butt stock parralel to the butt plate. Any ideas as to what this may indicate? I have had guesses ranging from elite Polish army units to SCW unit marking (although I am dubious regarding this as there is no sanitization of the reciever) but have never really figured it out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Trying to further reduce my ignorance...I recognize the Polish chicken on the underside of the wrist, but what is the D in a pent marking? On a related note, I sold a friend a 1934 (mix mastered except stock and reciever) Radom WZ29 that has three "1 1/4 inch high V's across the left side of the butt stock parralel to the butt plate. Any ideas as to what this may indicate? I have had guesses ranging from elite Polish army units to SCW unit marking (although I am dubious regarding this as there is no sanitization of the reciever) but have never really figured it out.
Don't know what the VVV means but have a 1941 g98/40 that has same marking. JL

·
Silver Bullet member
798 Posts
If I remember correctly,VVV is a Greek marking.I've seen it on some M95 Steyr carbines.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
Well I found a VZ24 stock today and its not even close to matching up.
Unfortunately, Wz. 29 stocks are somewhat uncommon and relatively expensive. One just sold over in the Trader forum for $150. Simpson Ltd. has a couple for $150-$275 (both of which are cracked):
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=22336&osCsid=2f48cfe5bb0f181d0900dd22e0777c09
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=22334&osCsid=2f48cfe5bb0f181d0900dd22e0777c09

Or, they show up on eBay and Gunbroker from time to time, and sell for $100+.

Honestly, you might be better off looking for a complete rifle. I've had good luck with scoring inexpensive complete Wz. 29s lately ($150-$200). You might even be able to find one that's missing some of the metal hardware, or has a bore that's ruined, for a song.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow. That 150-200 dollar WZ29 thing must be regional to Arkansas or somethong! In my neck of the woods ANYTHING with a Polish Eagle is like gold. Are you referring to WZ29 SCW guns? If so, then as long as condition is high, thats still a nice price.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went ahead and purchased the stock from Simpson, I rather just restore it back to original configuration. There doesn't seem to be many with a intact crest or no crossed out numbers on the receiver.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
Wow. That 150-200 dollar WZ29 thing must be regional to Arkansas or somethong! In my neck of the woods ANYTHING with a Polish Eagle is like gold. Are you referring to WZ29 SCW guns? If so, then as long as condition is high, thats still a nice price.
Actually, neither of them were local. Unfortunately, the milsurp market in NW Arkansas is pretty slim pickings, so I do most of my buying online.

I scored one off AR15.com and the other from this forum's Trader page, both within the last 2 months. I paid $145 shipped for one, and $195 shipped for the other. Both were scrubbed SCW rifles in good shape. While good deals in their own right, I agree that they would have been amazing deals if the markings were intact!

And I imagine the higher demand for Polish rifles in Northern IL has to do with the large Polish-American population in that area. (My parents moved to a Chicago suburb several years ago, near a large Polish community, and they like to frequent the Polish restaurants and markets.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very true, there are tons of Polish enclaves withon a two hour radiuslike Milwaukee, Chocago and its burbs, Mishiwaka, and Green Bay. Most os the Polish Eagle guns I've sold, internet or not wound up going to those areas. Regional interest does really drive the prices. I've done well with the Pole stuff, but sadly have kept almost none for myself...interests went other directions.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,255 Posts
Try calling springfield Sporters.They had the SCW Polish mausers back in 1980s.THey dont have a toll free number but you can call and talk to a person.They may have a cracked stock or one that was broken off at the wrist.The Vz-24 stocks dont interchange with the Wz-29 as far as the receiver ring length and that the Wz-29 has tapered barrel and not a stepped one.Great rifle and good find.You may be able to find wood on ebay also-people may not know what they have-thats how I got a Post war CZ 98K stock cheap there.Good luck with your search for the wood.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my new stock in today from Simpson LTD ! Great company and the stock is better than advertised. Got everything cleaned up and put together, she cleaned up very nicely and Im a very happy guy right now. All thats left is a trip to the range to see how she shoots.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts