Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought four Mosin Nagant 91-30 rifles several years ago. They are all pretty nice rifles but one of them stands out above the other three as a choice rifle. The chamber is stamped with a crest that looks like a wreath of pine brows with a letter inside. Not sure which factory made the rifle. The bore is almost mirror bright and the trigger breaks at 3 pounds. There is a stamp of a square with "SA" inside the sq. indicating the Finns have reworked the rifle. I've fired the piece with my own reloads and Russian 7.62x54mm ammo. A 2 moa group at 100 yds. is easy from a good rest with the rifle. Below are some photos of the MN rifle. The stock is a light color with only one or two very small nicks in a couple places. (I like the blond color) All serial numbers match except the number stamped on the floor plate of the magazine. The bolt travel is as smooth (or maybe smoother) as any commercial rifle I own. There are two concentric circles on the right side of the stock with "CCCP" stamped between the circles and a "K" just above a circle containing "TB" within the circle. Below are some photos of my MN rifle.
It was such a beautiful spring day today I just had to include a couple photos of my shooting range in the pasture below the house.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,128 Posts
Nice rifle. BEAUTIFUL countryside!

·
Registered
216 Posts
The crest is the Soviet hammer and sickle seal with some boughs around it. It was made at Izhevsk Arsenal, indicated by the arrow in triangle. Izhevsk is still around today having been converted to the Izhmash Machine Building as part of the Kalashnikov Concern which builds Russian Military AKs to this day. You've got a gorgeous rifle, looks like a non-refurb with the old brass colored handguard caps.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saturn ----- Thanks for the good info on my 91 / 30 rifle. I wasn't sure of the mfg. but glad to learn it is of Izhevsk mfg. Wouldn't the "SA" in the box indicate it has been refurbished by the Finns? If the hand guard and its brass caps were ok wouldn't the Finns have just put it back on the rifle after refurb. ? Thanks again for your good comment.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Saturn ----- Thanks for the good info on my 91 / 30 rifle. I wasn't sure of the mfg. but glad to learn it is of Izhevsk mfg. Wouldn't the "SA" in the box indicate it has been refurbished by the Finns? If the hand guard and its brass caps were ok wouldn't the Finns have just put it back on the rifle after refurb. ? Thanks again for your good comment.
The SA stamp is a Finnish Army property stamp, it's on everything they used from submachine guns to spoons but doesn't have anything to do with rifle refurbishment. Despite that your rifle almost certainly was refurbished by the Finn's, that's likely why the floorplate number doesn't match. Nice Finn captured M91/30 though, despite having a large collection of Soviet refurbished Mosin's I much prefer examples like yours.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SSG_Lord ---- Thanks for you welcome comments. Yes I'd much preferred if and when the rifle might have been refurbished, its original floor plate would have been installed or at least it would have been re-stamped with a matching number. One of the other three MN rifles I have also contains the "SA" stamp on its action. But it appears to have had a tougher life than the one in my photos above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.