Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tula hex receiver with SA mark and no sign I could see of import mark. Receiver and bolt match. Has escutcheons and Finn hangers. Capital 'D' on receiver also. Stock looks good, maybe lightly refinished(by the Finns?). Currently at $140. Any ball park guess on value? Do not know bore.

edit: this has the hooded front sight and the base of the rear sight is unmarked. Also the stock is two piece with a vertical seam. And the receiver looks cut down(sniper?) The receiver is more like my M91 than my M91 30.

Thanks

paul

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
I own its twin and I paid about $140 for it five years ago.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You're right, I must have had hex on the brain. It is round.

Is it correct for basically what appears to be a similar rifle dated 1907 to have hex? The lighter one is the 1907

paul

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
The top (light) rifle is a M91 and other than a very few with WWII barrel dates they all had hex receivers. It also has a longer barrel than a 91/30. Spend an evening on this site. http://7.62x54r.net/

·
Gold Bullet member
2,103 Posts
The bottom rifle in your pic looks like a very nice Finn capture 91/30. If the bore is good, it would be a buy for me up to $200 or so, depending on how bad I wanted it.
One thing, what do you mean by 'the receiver looks cutdown'?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when comparing my M91 30 with my M91, the left side of the receiver opening is cut very differently, seems lower. As to spending an evening at the 7.62 x 54r site, I have. I learn slowly and part of that process is coming here. But thanks for your pointers. At $140, assuming I could get it for that, adding $30 +/- shipping and $25 FFL I would be at almost $200 and I don't have the rifle in hand to examine it. I'll porbably pass. I thought Finns had more of a premium along with the 'pot belly' stock?

paul

·
Gold Bullet member
2,103 Posts
That $200 mark is for me, others may pay more. I think the nice Finn stock with hangers does add value, I've just been lucky to get most of my Finn captures for less $$ than that.
I for one, would not kick you for spending a bit more...I would want to know bore condition, though.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
I should point out that the $140 I quoted was from five years ago and it does not include some local charges and taxes to get it into my hands. Perhaps $160 is a better estimate. Do not be surprised if both those rifles sell for close to $200 or more as bid.

There are a myriad of receiver variations when it comes to Mosins and the the site I linked has an extensive study on the subject. Frankly, that page makes me dizzy whenever I look at it. There are low wall and high wall receivers and to muddy the water some more, I am not convinced that the woodlines are that consistent.

The other thing you must remember with Finn rifles is that the date on the barrel is not always going to match the receiver date under the tang. They were mixed and matched to make serviceable rifles. That said, captured 91/30s were usually not messed with other than replacing the stock if required and stamping them with SA.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,545 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"ahem " I have and on many of the other sights. I thought all Finns used hangers but the first pic on your referenced site does not have them. Read on the "pot belly" also but can't see the actual rifle for all the markings. My photo does not show it but it has the globe front sight. Anyway, all i wanted was for some thoughts from those who know more than i do and then try to read between the lines at the site of the auction.

As usual. thanks for the help

paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts