Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had the camera out so I grabbed this one. One of my M28/30s and this one happens to be a low production number '38 year. It has been reblued after the war by the Finns as you can tell but it is in great shape with the "been there done that" look. What is odd is the stock is the correct year but the rack number which is usually the last 2 digits of the rifle, on this rifle is 1 number off. Showing a 98 instead of a 99.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Rack number? You mean serial number. The buttplate is probably from the one that was right next to it. Ha ha ha. Silly Finns. It could just be a coincidence. With them only stamping the last 2 digits, it could have been from a gun thousands of guns away. For every rifle that ended in 99, there are are 10 per 1000.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rack number? You mean serial number. The buttplate is probably from the one that was right next to it. Ha ha ha. Silly Finns. It could just be a coincidence. With them only stamping the last 2 digits, it could have been from a gun thousands of guns away. For every rifle that ended in 99, there are are 10 per 1000.
From my understanding the rifles had the last 2 digits of their serial number put on the butts so while in the rack they could be easily identified by the soldiers. Thus why I called it rack number.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,546 Posts
Got to agree. They didn't bother with the numbers on the "shoulder" part of the plate. Why bother?

Nice rifle.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to agree. They didn't bother with the numbers on the "shoulder" part of the plate. Why bother?

Nice rifle.
I have about 6 or more Finns that have matching last 2 digit numbers on the shoulder part of the butt plate. Coincidence?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,295 Posts
I have about 6 or more Finns that have matching last 2 digit numbers on the shoulder part of the butt plate. Coincidence?
I don't see what is wrong with what you posted, Stopsign. I agree it is an interesting coincidence that the stock cartouche matches the barrel date, but the 2 digit number is off. Makes you wonder if it was a mistake when they stamped it, or they swapped stocks during the rebuild and it just happened to match the date? I guess we will never know.

Does it have any CG inspection stamps around the upper screw of the butt plate? I always like comparing those to the current bore condition, just for the heck of it.

I agree this rifle is easily a $700 to $800 specimen.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Nice rifle!

For some reason, over the years, 1938 seems to be the year many 28-30 rifles are posted or offered for sale online. For a low production year, one see's many. I bought one that year myself...quite a few years back. :)

Pahtu.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't see what is wrong with what you posted, Stopsign. I agree it is an interesting coincidence that the stock cartouche matches the barrel date, but the 2 digit number is off. Makes you wonder if it was a mistake when they stamped it, or they swapped stocks during the rebuild and it just happened to match the date? I guess we will never know.

Does it have any CG inspection stamps around the upper screw of the butt plate? I always like comparing those to the current bore condition, just for the heck of it.

I agree this rifle is easily a $700 to $800 specimen.
I honestly feel it could be a mistake or a rebuild before the Finnish refurbed it. I feel it could be a mistake more than restocked but I don't know how they did the process so it's hard to decide to me. I don't believe there are any CG acceptance markings on top but I don't think I've looked either.

Nice rifle!

For some reason, over the years, 1938 seems to be the year many 28-30 rifles are posted or offered for sale online. For a low production year, one see's many. I bought one that year myself...quite a few years back. :)

Pahtu.
I agree with you completely Pahtu even though the '38 is listed as a low production run it seems they come across more often than not. Kinda like the '43 M44s.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
In the end, we will never know what happened. It is only wishful thinking past that. Just as I pointed out, there would have been 10 of these per thousand. We do know what it is not; totally matching.

Im not saying that your rifle is not a nice one. It really is. But wishing it is something you cannot prove or ever know, does not make it so. You only fool yourself.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Beautiful rifle! :grin:

Interesting you say "low serial number" I have a 1938 as well but in a 40 dated stock...2,659 numbers away... which is odd seeing how theres only suppose to be 2,000 or so 1938s made. Must have skipped around.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the end, we will never know what happened. It is only wishful thinking past that. Just as I pointed out, there would have been 10 of these per thousand. We do know what it is not; totally matching.

Im not saying that your rifle is not a nice one. It really is. But wishing it is something you cannot prove or ever know, does not make it so. You only fool yourself.
It has been noted time and time again that Finnish rifles (only CG rifles that I've noticed) have rack numbers stamped on the back top side of the butt plate which consist of the last 2 digits of the serial number. I don't wish it was anything that it isn't. Stating my opinion on what it could be or what could have happened is part of the mystery of what it was in 1938 and what was going on then. The heart and soul of Mosin Nagant collecting. Has nothing to do with fooling myself.

Dont take my response as hostile as I do not take yours that way. I just think we aren't on the same chapter yet. No harm no foul! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
so you think your stock is correct and just your but plat is a mistake ? how is that when you posted on my 1934 2830 that my stock had to have been replaced if the numbers where wrong on the but plate. my stock is also period correct for a early 34 2830. weather its one digit or two wrong is wrong. no disrespect is intended, just like to know what is the differences in yours and mine. there both post war finn refurbs so why is your stock the original one and mine cant be

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so you think your stock is correct and just your but plat is a mistake ? how is that when you posted on my 1934 2830 that my stock had to have been replaced if the numbers where wrong on the but plate. my stock is also period correct for a early 34 2830. weather its one digit or two wrong is wrong. no disrespect is intended, just like to know what is the differences in yours and mine. there both post war finn refurbs so why is your stock the original one and mine cant be
There is no way of knowing what happened some 80 years ago when these rifles were built, we can only go by our best judgment. There is a huge difference between 1 digit off and 22 digits off as in your case. Also I can see for facts that my stock was built in 1938 which is the same date as my rifle. You have no idea if your stock was built in 1933, 1934, or early/mid 1935. You have to take all things into consideration and then go off your best judgment like I said. Sorry to tell you but I feel 99.5% sure that there is no way your stock is original to the rifle. As far as mine I feel 60% sure mine is original, could be could not be.

Hope that helped you out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts