Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
K98

Hi,i have just bought my K98 and not having owned a German rifle before was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on all the numbers and stamps on it. On the top of reciever it has S/237 1937,i get that bit :), on the RHS below the S/237 it has 3 waffenampts with 26 stamped beneath them,also on the barrel same side has 3 waffenampts with 26 stamped beneath them, on the left hand side of reciever it has 2 waffenampts with 1444 and the letter d. On the stock it has 3 waffenampts with what looks like a letter H under one, and numbers under the others and the stock is also stamped 1444. The bit thats bugging me is the bolt has the number 1249 and what looks like a letter " f ". Have i got a mismatched weapon here??? also where are the other serial numbers located ie on the trigger guard or metal work around the front stock? Im real sorry to make this long winded but reading your posts i guess you know loads more than me,thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yep, you have a mismatch.
The nrs on the trigger guard & floor plate are visable when you turn the rifle upside down and look at those parts. The follower should also have the last 2 digets of the ser nr. Both bbl bands will be nr'd on the left side and the bayo lug will have the last 2 digets on the right side when looking at it from the muzzle. The butt plate should also have the ser nr on it.
Look under the bolt handle and tell us what the proofs are there. That will tell who made the bolt. Is the bolt all matching to its self?
Sarge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sarge,thanks for all your help so far,cleaned it up a bit yesterday and found some of the numbers you were speaking of. Lookin at the bayo lug it has the number 24 on the right as you look at it,and on the other side it has a wafenampts and what looks like 655 or 657, its still got a bit of dirt on it.:rolleyes:. Anyway under the bolt it has two wafenampts with 65 on it. The bbl bands do have the numbers wa 655 on the LHS. The foot plate has the number 7410 stamped on it but trigger guard has no numbers at all. And the bolt the only other number on is on the safety switch and says 9522,so i guess i got a bit of a hybrid here!!! :D. When the Germans left the island where i live when the British liberated it,they left loads of stores and weapon parts,i guess some bored soldier put one together,hid it for 60 years and then i came along!:eek:. Thanks again.
Ps anyone fancy a nice MG34......

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
I have a 1939 243 code with weimars

Is this uncommon to have a 1939 dated K98 with weimar eagles? 243 code

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
No. The Weimar eagle began to be phased out in 1937. It did not completely disappear on all makers till 1940. Thus both can be found on rifles thru 39.
sarge

·
Registered
65 Posts
S/42
S/N: 938B
W/W+N

Receiver W63 proofs
Barrel N WAa63 and W63
Sight base N WAa63
Sight slide W63
Sight leaf W63
Sight Spring W63
Sight tangent bed W63
Front sight N WAa63
Trigger guard, floorplate & follower N WAa63
Bolt body N WAa 63 & W 63
Firing pin N WAa63
Bolt Shroud N WAa 63 & W 63
Safety flag W63
Bolt release and screw W63
Bolt handle root Weimar FP
Cocking piece W63
Action screws W63
Action lock screws W63

Stock and stock fittings mismatched from a later rifle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
1937 Transition From Weimar to Nazi Proofs

S/42
8720 m
W/N Proofs

·
Registered
12 Posts
1937 Transition

I have a K98 with the year 1939 marked on the barrel with serial number of 4014 marked on the barrel and stock. I have the Weimar Eagles and WAa marks on the front barrel band, on the barrel, receiver and other parts on the rifle. The serial numbers on the other parts (bolt, flat steel butt plate, trigger guard and drop plate) do not match because it is a Russian capture.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.